Style

The Ten Most Fashionable & Comfy Shoes to Wear on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We all want to wear comfortable shoes for college, the problem is that some of these shoes are not really stylish and can make us feel a little self-conscious. We’re going to give you a list of the most stylish and comfortable shoes you can wear for college and ideas on how to style them.

Converse “Chuck Taylor” All-Star

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Laetitia ?? (@laetitiasnd) on Mar 21, 2019 at 11:19am PDT

These shoes are an all-time classic. Even though they were originally athletic shoes, Converse “Chuck Taylor” All-Star is a shoe that’s been worn by thousands of people around the world. They became commonly used on the daily after The Ramones wore them in an onstage performance. These sneakers can be worn with any type of clothing and still make you look 10 times more awesome. I’ve had a couple of pairs and they last such a long time if you take care of them properly.

FILA Disruptor II

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by S A R A H F A R M A ??? (@farmasarah) on Mar 11, 2019 at 4:15pm PDT

As we know, 90s trends have been coming back. With that in mind, chunky white sneakers have definitely made a comeback. They’re worn by plenty of celebrities like Dakota Fanning, Charli XCX and Ne-Yo. Though they’re big and chunky, they’re easy to style. Think: oversized shorts with a belt, a crop top, and a pair of these sneakers, you’ll look so cute. Do you have a cute elegant dress you’ve been meaning to wear? Dress it down with these sneakers, I’ve been waiting to buy a pair of these shoes and I’ll hopefully get them soon. You can find these shoes through the FILA website.

Slides

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Best Kept Secret On Robertson (@jamilynclothing) on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:28pm PDT

You can easily slip these sandals on or off anytime you want. They’re really cute and there are a lot of colors and prints to choose from to pair with different types of clothing like dresses, skirts, rompers, to the beach! They’re especially great during the hot season. Some of my favorite styles are the UO Soft Leather Slide Sandal and the AEO Fringe Sandal.

Loafers & Their Many Varieties

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Veronica Popoiacu (@bittersweetcolours) on Mar 9, 2019 at 6:41am PST

These shoes have never been considered fashionable, but when Gucci decided to make pairs of loafers with metal detailing on top, a lot of brands decided to start doing knock-offs. They’ve become some of the most used shoes this year. Some of these loafers are the Yoki Faux Leather Loafers and the Faux Leather Loafer Mules.

Adidas Stan Smith

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Curly Pina (@alessia_pini) on Jan 24, 2019 at 4:22am PST

These Adidas were originally made for tennis players but became a sensation, especially in the last couple of years. They’re a very simple and sleek style of sneakers that can be combined with dressy options or casual-wear. These are especially great for athleisure! They’re one of my personal favorite shoes. I have the pink version but I’ve been going crazy over the green ones.

Birkenstocks

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by the Saint Sisters (@saintsonaplane) on Mar 16, 2019 at 2:57am PDT

Oh, the Birkenstock. These shoes are the comfiest thing you’ll ever wear. These were first made as an orthopedic shoe, but people started wearing them casually. The brand can be expensive, but they’ll last forever. They look great on everyone and you could wear them with any type of clothing. II also think they look pretty great with dresses. And again: they’re EXTREMELY comfortable.  If you’re looking for a Birkenstock type sandal on a budget, plenty of brands have been making similar shoes. I have two pairs of shoes of this style by the brand Madden Girl and they’ve become a staple in my closet.

Tevas

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Larissa Verbon (@larissaverbon) on Jan 27, 2019 at 11:30pm PST

In the last couple of months, I started seeing these shoes on the feet of way too many college students. They’re really comfortable, great for walking and can hold up to the wear and tear that comes with rain. They might not be everyone’s cup of tea (they look v quirky!) but I personally think they are great. I highly recommend the black Midform Universal Sandals.

Chelsea Boots

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Hi I’m ????? ♥ (@vintagediary) on Mar 10, 2019 at 8:32am PDT

These boots are the ultimate closet staple. They’re stylish, comfortable and versatile. They make people look and feel like they’re the coolest person in the world. I think they look especially amazing paired with some jeans. However, these go with dresses, skirts, jumpers, overalls, anything. Classic Black Chelsea Boots are the best way to go.

Vans

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by ➖MANDIE KAII➖ (@mandiekaii_fit) on Mar 21, 2019 at 6:24pm PDT

Though these were originally a shoe made for skaters, they’re here to stay. These are probably the shoes I’ve seen the most around campus. We see them in a lot of styles and colors, They especially look good when paired with casual clothing for a lightly edgy look. The ones that I’ve seen the most are the Slip-on Checkerboard Vans and the Old Skool Vans.

Platform Sandals

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Mia Shoes MX (@miashoesmx) on Apr 6, 2019 at 10:54am PDT

Last but not least, the platform sandal. High fashion meets casual, these shoes are great to bring up the style factor in any outfit. Do you feel tired and unkempt? Sweatpants, cropped tee, and platform sandals will save the day. These shoes aren’t for everyone and they bring major 80s vibes, but maybe you’ll like them. Try these Midnight New Heights Platform Sandals or these unusual Raffi ones.

These comfy and trendy shoes are sure to make you the coolest person on campus. Be sure to find what works for you but I hope my recommendations help you find your one true shoe love!

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.