This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The makeup world is a huge one– it’s always changing and creating new things. I can’t even keep up with all the new releases and updates! Some of the changes are amazing, like some women creating brands or taking over the industry by becoming CEOs and presidents of makeup companies. To celebrate having more women coming to power in companies where most of its clients are women, we are going to introduce you to 6 successful female leaders in the makeup industry.

1. Anastasia Soare

This Romanian lady is the CEO and founder of the famous makeup brand Anastasia Beverly Hills. She started her career with a salon in 1997, and then launched her first makeup line in 2000. Her company is best known for its brow products, but they create all different types of makeup products, and her brand is known by thousands of people all across the world. I personally love their products and recommend the famous Soft Glam palette, which can be used for any occasion.

BONUS!: Beside this amazing entrepreneur is Claudia Norvina Soare, her daughter and the company’s president. She is a successful woman with a lot of creativity and an amazing essence. These two women came to win, and they are doing amazing.

2. Jill Scalamandre

Jill Scalamandre became the president of Bare Escentuals (which operates Bare Minerals and BUXOM) in June of 2018. She began paving her way to the top by working with companies like Revlon and Prada, and now she’s conquering the beauty industry. As president of Bare Escentuals, she hopes to maximize all of its opportunities and strengthen its international footprint. This wonderful woman doesn’t only supervise BUXOM and Bare Minerals, she is also the president of Shiseido’s Global Makeup Center of Excellence.

BUXOM has an amazing mascara and I’ve heard wonders about Bare Mineral’s Original Loose Powder Foundation SPF 15, so be sure to check them out!

3. Demetra Pinsent

The 43 year old Canadian Demetra Pinsent has been the CEO of Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Ltd. since 2012. She originally studied to become a doctor, but then decided to follow a career in management consulting. She focuses her practice on luxury goods, apparel and beauty. In 2017, she was appointed as the director of Prince William and Prince Harry’s charity. Her goal is to make the brand globally known.

BONUS!: The founder of the brand is Charlotte Tilbury, born in London and raised in Ibiza, who fell in love with makeup from a very young age. She wanted to pursue a career as a makeup artist and decided to train at the Glauca Rossi School of Makeup in London. I haven’t tried any of this brand’s products, but some of their most famous are the Filmstar Bronze and Glow palette and the Matte Revolution lipsticks (especially the shades Pillow Talk and Walk of Shame).

4. Chichi Eburu

This Nigerian-born woman is the founder of black beauty cosmetics brand, Juvia’s Place. This brand is known for its bright and very pigmented eyeshadows, inspired by people of color. She believes that there’s a market aimed towards people of color because not many products in the beauty industry are made with them in mind. She creates palettes that represent the African culture, art, clothing, music, and festivals. For example, The Nubian Palette is inspired by Queen Nefertiti and Egyptian culture. She explained in an interview with Lisa a la mode that “the word Nubian for Black people, is often synonymous with black royalty and embracing blackness and culture.” One of Juvia’s Place most famous products (and one of the ones I really want to buy) is the Sahara Palette.

5. Cashmere Nicole

This single mother founded the indie and cruelty-free brand Beauty Bakerie in 2011, after having completed college and nursing school. She was later diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a double mastectomy. Through it all, she continued working on Beauty Bakerie and adopted the company’s motto: “Better, not bitter.” She’s a woman full of creativity that used to dream of being an architect, but fell in love with the art of makeup. Her goal is to create makeup that doesn’t contain ingredients that could cause cancer, and that can allow people to live their lives without worrying about messing up their makeup (both of these reasons are amazing). I really want to try the Cake-mix Demi Matte Foundation and the Flour Setting Powder.

6. Carisa Janes

Hourglass Cosmetics was founded in 2004 by Carisa Janes as a cruelty-free luxury brand. She creates makeup that makes you look flawless and helps your skin at the same time. Hourglass started appearing at Sephora in 2006, and that helped the brand garner more success. She is working towards making the brand completely vegan by 2020. Before launching it, she had a job with Urban Decay and some other brands. Her brand tries to make innovative products like a foundation that gives you great coverage, doesn’t break you out and helps with acne-control (Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation). I’m personally very interested in trying their Ambient Lightning Collection because the colors are just absolutely beautiful!

Makeup is one of my biggest obsessions, and watching all these great women conquering the beauty industry not only makes me dance with joy, but is a great representation of the creativity and success that women are capable of.

Image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.