This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

On Thursday, Netflix announced the cancellation of One Day At A Time, to the surprise and shock of many viewers. The show had been on the rocks for a while now, with its cancellation always looming in the background every season, allegedly due to a lack of viewership. However, the outrage from fans that have surfaced after its cancellation shows that this reboot of the 70’s classic was truly beloved. To start, I want to talk in general about how special and great this show was. I would dare to say that it is one of the most important series that Netflix has ever aired. In each episode, it presented real problems that we live in our society today.

The series had three seasons and dealt with the daily life of a Cuban family living in the diaspora. The family was composed of grandmother Lydia Riera (played by Rita Moreno), who moved to the United States from Cuba when she was young; Penélope Álvarez (Justina Machado), the daughter of Lydia, a single mother, and a war veteran; and finally Elena and Alex Álvarez (Isabella Gómez and Marcel Ruiz), Penélope’s children. Despite what life threw at them, the family confronted their problems together and struggled to work things out. Here is a list of reasons why this show is so important, and why you should watch it:

1. Latinx representation

To begin with, the actors cast to represent the Latinx family are actual latinxs and not people of other ethnicities posing as latinxs, which is excellent! Also, most of the cast is Puerto Rican and they do an excellent job representing the Latinx community, from the food to the traditions, from café en la greca to quinceañeras. But the show also took this opportunity to discuss serious topics that affect the Latinx community. They touch on topics like racism and deportation, opening the door to more real conversations within the series.

2. Rita Moreno

Do I really have to say much in this? Rita Moreno is one of the best actresses in history, with a career spanning over 70 years, and has always made Puerto Rico’s name shine. She does a fabulous job characterizing Lydia and, if we’re being honest, is the sazón of the series. She is charismatic, funny and fabulous. We Stan Rita Moreno.

3. LGBTQ+ representation

Throughout the series, we see how, within a Latinx family, the theme of homosexuality is dealt with. It presents acceptance and rejection, pain and love. I do not want to give a lot of spoilers away but the series manages to handle such a sensitive topic in an incredible way. Again, the doors are opened for conversations of greater importance.

4. Mental Health Awareness

In the series, the characters struggle with mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Penélope is a war veteran, and we see how she struggles with her PTSD. It also shines a light on the taboo within the Latinx culture regarding these illnesses. The episodes that deal with the issues will really make your skin crawl. You might let a few tears out.

5. Addiction is destigmatized

Alcoholism and drug usage are shown in the lives of the characters. They talk about how this affects them and the problems it unleashes in their lives. The show projects the ugly and raw truth behind addiction in order to demonstrate how this problem can really affect lives. These problems are not judged or shamed, but neither does the show embrace them. They are presented as real situations that have to be worked on and dealt with.

6. SPANGLISH!

What’s a Latinx series without un poquito de español here and there? Spanglish is part of what makes this series so rich in cultural features and so relatable to Latinx families. It shows how being bilingual is normal for us. Really, the number of scenes with which one can identify are countless, which is good, because we finally have shows where we can see ourselves represented without our Latinidad being reduced to a running gag or a racial stereotype.

In short, this series is funny and shamelessly genuine. You will cry, you will dance, and you will get hungry. There are so many more reasons to love this series, as it covers many topics such as feminism, friendship, divorce, religion, family love, and so on! Despite its cancellation, there are many fans and celebrities (including the cast of the show) rallying for the show to be picked up and continued by another network. So, if we have convinced you with this list, go and support this amazing and refreshing show! Tell your friends and family, sit with them, look for your favorite snacks, and enjoy it. You will not regret it.

Image Credits: 1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6,  7

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.