SAG-AFTRA Strike In a Nutshell: What You Need to Know About the Recent Hollywood Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As of September 26, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) has reached an agreement with the Writer’s Guild of America (WGA) on the contract proposed in early May 2023. You might be wondering what happened and how the massive strike unfolded. Well, you’re in luck, because I’ll be giving you a quick rundown on everything WGA and SAG-AFTRA strike-related. From the rules adhering members have to follow, to which celebrities have joined the picket lines to fight for the cause, and more.

P55pH0s0X4BqNXsYDD VNwcZY0j0uiHwul6OT4NlMOH3Xc6XVzGxyfup03lypK8gxMqv 01cnIIk1hbbpBHoL4GdehX ieNTxY

Retrieved from Getty Images

According to Time Magazine, on May 2nd the WGA and AMPTP failed to reach an agreement on issues such as their working conditions, how they are paid, and their concerns about the potential impact of AI on their employment security. Following the disputes, the WGA officially called an immediate strike. Later in July, the Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) joined the writers in the strike after their contract with AMPTP expired. This caused many TV and film productions to shut down indefinitely, costing big studios such as Disney, Netflix, and Amazon thousands of dollars. According to SAG-AFTRA member Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, in 2021 actors earned a median income of $46,960, with those in the lower quartile making just $30,040. Meanwhile, studio earnings have skyrocketed to over a whopping $12 billion annually. Many of those who earn $30k a year can’t even qualify for the union’s health care. 

As a result, all SAG-AFTRA actors that are taking part in the strike are expected to follow certain rules. The strike demands that they not do any on-camera work, such as singing, acting, puppeteering, dancing, and stunts, or any off-camera work like voice acting, narrating, singing, and ADR. The rule that has affected us fans the most is that they can’t do any interviews, tours, and promotions via social media. This has halted  many of our favorite celebrities’ careers, but this is for the better. Actors and writers deserve to receive fair compensation for their work and they will not rest until the big Hollywood executives answer to their needs. 

Although the strike has no direct consequences for Puerto Rican performers and local entertainment industries, there are ways to support the picket lines. Spreading the word through social media and keeping up with the news is a great way to keep others in the loop. Also, the SAG-AFTRA website accepts online donations for union members in need.

Now, it’s time to highlight some of the notable celebrities who have shown support for the cause: 

1. Penn Badley (Gossip Girl, You)

fKg1gNG0bMvSI9NK6rn59l 2fojbiXIVZ5Z6h6UtW3JF7jeQh nR2k8u7dwOk1N8ANVZ6xDnONvo a5MQKycfn2RlF87x4F FK iH26LFaQDOngPyrvWqZXjL6Ek7WzSlXFXCOM6f0bYKVG a8uis

Retrieved from Getty Images

2. Margot Robbie (Barbie)

Retrieved from Daily Mail

3. Daniel Radcliff (Harry Potter Franchise)

yxh R0CmadlwQfPIjs HCnyiu3aLFSy9PPOj3urf3Vm jbK30J7wxz4A5cP3kBXfISbxldOa4bVUIa1JWurpKFBtUI5zQme2gFleUFMu bpsAU5739XFrdNQrM7MbN z3QzZL6Xd7eSykn0w 791HdQ

Retrieved from Shutterstock

4. Elliot Page (Juno, The Umbrella Academy)

fYcv3qj5iHx2Msv0JcYkb1xSYWylE9N6WBDKDg nCAfw tyGLBhn lr9mM5P3 JTSQafONiweZhWWGn9rf2E8QA4wthJ22hBvB4WVf6l2Fo61J ulA1 mRbgitXRMsBrD82uNC6SnKV2Q4hLD RSR4

Retrieved from Shutterstock

These are only a few of the many celebrities that have joined the picket lines. Prominent celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Meryl Streep, and Leonardo DiCaprio have each generously contributed $1 million to SAG-AFTRA, while Dwayne Johnson has also made a substantial donation exceeding $1 million. The strikes have undoubtedly brought to light many important issues in the entertainment industry and it’s amazing to see the industry working together for one good cause. This serves as a reminder that progress and unification are possible. By working together, Hollywood can create a more promising and inclusive future for all SAG-AFTRA members, A-listers or not.

Amiari Carpio Rosa is an undergraduate at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus. Her love for the entertainment world led her to the Communications faculty, where she is working towards a degree in Public Relations and Publicity. Her journey in the writing world has recently begun and Her Campus UPR is a step in this new endeavor. Amiari's enthusiasm for communication and marketing extends beyond her involvement with Her Campus. Within the university, she plays a role as the Assistant of Professional Development in the Marketing Association. This role allows her to help develop her skills in the marketing world. In addition to extracurricular commitments, Amiari is in the early stages of launching her own thrifting business, where she curates handpicked vintage and second-hand clothing items. Outside of academia and business, Amiari has a diverse range of interests, including going to the movies, reading a good book, and of course, thrifting. Regarding literature, she's drawn to a diverse range of genres, with a particular love for mystery, young adult fiction, thrillers, and historical fiction. She also loves watching TV Shows and has probably watched around 100 series in her lifetime.