Romance Reading Challenge:  Romeo and Juliet In a Sitting: Here Are My Thoughts 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Reading classics may appear to be intimidating, especially Shakespeare’s plays. However, don’t let the complexity of early modern English works discourage you from diving into his creations. My top Shakespeare picks are from the Folger Library editions. I’ve dabbled in a few of his works in the past, such as Othello and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which were an amazing experience to read, but passing the pages and sipping my coffee to Romeo and Juliet had a considerably different outcome. Take Othello, for instance, I was slowly captivated by Iago’s scheme that leads to the disastrous events that unfolds in the play, or A Midsummer Night’s Dream‘s engaging and funny retell had me laughing and genuinely having a good time. However, days have passed after reading Romeo and Juliet, and I’m still contemplating if I liked it or not. It had too many quick turn of events, which didn’t allow me to fully absorb what happened as a whole. A story of star-crossed lovers with a love so strong it was honestly overwhelming. A day with Romeo and Juliet, here’s how it went:

THESE SUPERFICIAL DELIGHTS HAVE VIOLENT ENDS

First, I found Romeo’s love for Juliet superficial. He was initially sad because of his unrequited love for Rosaline; until he saw Juliet…another Capulet. Personally, I don’t think he loved her in the first place, because he quickly changed his feelings. Juliet appears and he acts as if he never “loved” Rosaline. 

Love is an overpowering force that drives the characters in the play. Passion creates chaos in the love bird’s relationship and it results in a series of violence that leads to the expense of their own lives. Love can be messy and it’s not easy, and Romeo and Juliet’s “love” is no exception, but this is just taking things way too far. They had known each other for less than a week and in those days they met, fell in love, got married, and died. Their love was baroque-esque, excessive to say the least. And according to Aristotle in Nicomachean Ethics, excess leads to torment which is exactly what happened to them. A life well lived would be one in between excess and deficiency. 

REFUSE THY FAMILY AND EVERYTHING THAT IS YOU

Second, the rivalry between their two families, the Capulets and the Montagues, brought an identity crisis discourse between the lovers, which I found comical and concerning. They wanted to express to each other that their love was stronger than their filial ties, which is a bit excessive and worrisome.

“O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name;

Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love

And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.”

Romeo & Juliet – (Act 2, scene 2)

I’m a strong believer that your family shouldn’t define nor control you or your life, but you can’t simply erase them from your life. But, the clearly absurd part of it all was the haste they felt to jump into a relationship that even their sense of self was affected. 

Fate made them meet each other but the decisions they made were the true villain in their story. Romeo and Juliet’s story is a classic and it continues to be adapted and retold in different ways. Though, ridiculous, their legendary tale of romance captivates and leaves us wanting more; but there is no doubt that love at first sight and a prohibited affair, is a recipe for disaster.

“For never was a story of more woe

Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.”

Romeo & Juliet (Act 5, scene 3)
Alejandra Negrón Rodríguez is a writer and Events Director at Her Campus at UPR. She manages all chapter events, prioritizing in coordinating and organizing for a range of successful and fun activities. She mostly writes culture and entertainment articles, but as an avid reader, her favorite one’s are book reviews. She is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, majoring in Political Science with a minor in French. At Her Campus, writing became a muse for her, because she can transform her interests into works for others to enjoy. When she’s not writing, Alejandra reads books or buys them (ask her overwhelming mountain of unread books). Alejandra also loves learning new languages, crocheting, and spending time with her friends.