Positive Musa’s Fabian Batista and Daniel Matos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We live on an island full of so many good things: Puerto Ricans at their best are friendly, happy and united, no matter what. Positive Musa aims to be a social movement who want to showcase a better aspect of our lives here in Puerto Rico. Chances are you’ve seen the stickers around campus or their Facebook page, but what’s Positive Musa really about? Her Campus UPR had the pleasure to sit down with the dynamic duo behind the idea.

Positive Musa is composed of Fabian Batista and Daniel Matos, who have been friends since they were little kids. They have known each other for so long that when Fabian had the idea two years ago, Daniel had the certainty to pursue the idea with Fabian in order to create what we know now as Positive Musa. During August, they began spreading Positive Musa by word-of-mouth and days later they started handing out stickers, which have been cleverly invading beaches and our own campus. (I have one on my car, no shame.)

Names: Daniel Matos & Fabian Batista

Ages: 20 & 21

Majors: Finance & Graphic Design

Hometown: Trujillo Alto

HCUPR: Well guys, first things first. Where did the idea come from?

Fabian: To be honest, I was inspired by all these surfer brands we use daily and the way people create a certain lifestyle while using them.  Also, the way my friends, myself and others feel so related to these brands had to do with what Positive Musa is all about.

HCUPR: What’s Positive Musa’s main purpose?

Fabian: We want to send a message that no matter what bad things that are happening daily, there’s always an escape. There are places where you can go and relax, make memories and live happy moments by simply letting the muse inspire you.

Daniel: We represent, not only a free and happy lifestyle, but creating merchandise that represents who we are and that becomes a part of you.

HCUPR: Why call it “Positive Musa”?

Fabian:  Seeing all these people and situations with bad vibes in today’s society, I decided that it was time for me to make a contribution and sow a positive seed that distracts us from the bad. And what better than naming it “genuine inspiration and creation”?

HCUPR: What do you think is happening in Puerto Rico that makes us need something like Positive Musa?

Both: We believe that Puerto Rico needs hope. We have been living hard times, we can’t forget that at the end of the day there’s good in everything. The thing is recognizing that.

HCUPR: What do you guys expect from this endeavor?

Fabian: Hopefully, in the near future, we are going to differentiate our brand from the others. Our goal is for people relate with what we represent.

Daniel: To give us a sense of pride of what we were able to create.

This just in! In an extra confidential confession to HerCampus, the guys told us that they are ready to start selling their first batch of Positive Musa t-shirts. The designs of the shirts are available on their Facebook page.

For more info on these guys and their Musa you can like their Facebook page (Positive Musa), follow them on Instagram (positivemusa) and Twitter (musapositive). Let’s spread the word and make Positive Musa (and their good vibes!) bigger and better every day.

*Photos and video are from Positive Musa’s Instagram & Facebook. 

Gabriela Cirilo is a Marketing student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus. She's currently an intern at the IT company and consulting firm Wovenware Inc. Gabriela is a social media and movie addict. She enjoys reading, swimming and listening to new music. Also she loves fashion...and history.