This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We all love to get down and dirty on the dance floor and what better way to do it than with a good beat? Now and then, we still want a bopping beat but we really just want to cry, so here are the ultimate perreo and lloriqueo songs.

“Down” by R. K. M. & Ken-Y

This song begins with the lyricist reflecting upon the fact that their spouse is no longer home. Their significant other has abandoned the house they once shared together, and the artists are facing the realization that they probably will not come back.  During the chorus they express: “Girl, I’m dying for your love. I can’t handle it anymore. Si no tengo tu querer, si no tengo de tu amor. Girl, that makes me feel so down.” Heartbreak is definitely present throughout this piece as both R. K. M. & Ken-Y miss the feeling of being loved.

“Me matas” by R. K. M. & Ken-Y

Once again the duo creates a piece that we probably all can relate to. “Me matas” tells the story of a man facing rejection. He feels attracted by the subject’s looks, their walk and the way they dance. However, when they state that: “me miras y no me hablas” it is clear that the other party is not interested. Having your crush look at you at not even bother to speak to you is a devastating experience. I think that on some level we can all empathize with the artists’ feeling of rejection.

“Por amar a ciegas” by Arcángel

Arcángel is well known on the Island for creating bops throughout his 15-year-long career, and “Por amar a ciegas” is not an exception. The singer is reflecting upon how he did not put enough effort into his past romantic experience. He is realizing how his actions were careless, which only resulted in both him and his significant other getting hurt. Along with the song, Arcángel is facing an emotional struggle by questioning what does it actually mean to love. This piece that revealed the artist’s sensitive side is also a classic within the genre that brought tears to many during the early 2000s.

“Ella y yo” by Don Omar featuring Romeo Santos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4e0hJGOIY8

The duo tells the tale of what might be the worst-case scenario within a monogamous relationship. Romeo Santos mourns the betrayal of having his wife cheat on him with a friend of his. Don Omar, on the other hand, begs for forgiveness, to which Santos responds with the iconic line “Que te perdone Dios, yo no lo voy a hacer.” This song is heartbreaking in the sense that it not only shows the sadness caused by unfaithfulness but also the terrible experience of losing a friend–and as we all know, friendship breakups are the worst kind of breakups.

“Ella me levantó” by Daddy Yankee

“Ella me levantó” describes what it feels like to have a rebound. In this song, Daddy Yankee is in a post-breakup stage and it seems that he has met someone to help relieve some of the pain he’s facing. However, it is clear that he is not over his ex. When the artist says “Dime tú quién se ríe ahora. Llora, nena, llora” one can really see that he is hurting. He seems to be experiencing the vengeful phase of a breakup and wants to prove how well he is apparently doing. This goes to the extent that the message of this song is basically Daddy Yankee flaunting his new partner. Nonetheless, as he tries to overcompensate his well being we can see this as a type of defense mechanism as he is in denial of his feelings. This song genuinely depicts the angry energy that we are often left with once a relationship is over.

Perreo’s versatility can be seen in the way that a song can be both danced and cried to (preferably not at the same time). Although the genre’s depth is often underrated, these songs are examples of the feelings that are hidden within many Reggaeton lyrics.

Currently studying Linguistics, Human Communication and Human Rights at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Class of 2021. Aspiring lawyer.