Not A Horror Movie Person? Here are 5 Halloween-Comedy Movies That Are to Die For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Ok, let me paint you a picture. It’s All Hallows’s Eve; you’re hanging out with your friends. You propose the amazing idea of watching a Halloween movie together. They love it. As you start browsing and debating which will be the lucky pick, everyone around you agrees on watching The Conjuring or Annabel. At that moment, you realize you didn’t specify the movie should be light. Now you have to sit through the whole thing, basically blindfolded for the most part. If you’ve ever been in that scenario, or at least something along the lines of it, I got you.  

If you’re like me and horror movies give you the ick, I have a solution for you. In this article, I will be sharing a list of MY favorite Halloween movies. I promise, the scariest thing these movies have are the killer jokes. 

1. Hubie Halloween

WX uwqO4Yuo2GEiNeT45uptuaVLZGCjTcX8oGz5bnZwIjbwUeyxIeBxhVHF 2KLopxQS6LTgQ4mBdZwb6MIslXm3WfOKMmpWkiDzBC5BeVOmjrdsM4kxDSJ5 OOk kTlgKEArZOjr4vjzE5XfX6KylU

Retrieved from Pinterest

At the top of the list, maybe my favorite and most rewatched Halloween-Comedy movie of all time, is Hubie Halloween. In this Sandler-verse movie, we follow the story of Hubie, a kind man who dedicates his time to protecting Salem, his lovely town, every Halloween Day. Amongst pranks, a possible romance, and a chilling adventure, Hubie embarks on his day-to-day task of protecting his ungrateful town. 

With a star-studded cast, laughter is guaranteed. Give yourself a chance, you’ll fall in love with Hubie and his fun-driven adventure. 

2. Goosebumps

VDzwhTdhIVqrF U9iteA1vizsITajitq203LVbPT3U9KcgEKI nyaeRAa6M8spUO IVDtaPiCANkIu b1zMUIhm7 5j0e 2ySjFC3KPXrkAXHU9NtZKYE2

Retrieved from Pinterest

I would say this movie is a cultural phenomenon. Characters like the living dummy, the abominable Snowman, and werewolves come to life in this comedy-adventure movie adaptation of R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps stories. Plus, Jack Black. It’s a well-directed movie with a stunning and fun plot that will captivate any audiences’ attention. It also incorporates other movie genres like subtle thrillers and fantasy.

I don’t want to give any spoilers; however, be on the lookout for the jarring plot twist that will leave you questioning your existence for the rest of the day. No worries, it does have a happy ending. It’s Jack Black, after all.

3. Hocus Pocus

Retreived from Pinterest

Of course, I could not allow myself to write this article without including some Halloween-Comedy classics. Although this movie needs no introduction, Hocus Pocus follows the story of teenager Max who lights a cursed candle that accidentally brings back to life a coven of the worst witches in Salem. If you haven’t seen this comedic classic, I invite you to do so. You have no idea of the fun adventure you’ll be transported to!

Although Halloween is a dark time of pranks and scares, I’ve come up with bearing news: last Halloween, Disney+ released a sequel to this amazing Halloween classic. Hocus Pocus 2 follows a similar plotline to the original with a modern twist. Give yourself a chance to experience this comedic piece. 

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

wqZAktnlBgj5xwPlPq22NGgFvnGsy e5jw0lAwhVY2OtPB4QMavsCsjRCnD4m6bRWl1v01pSpqOZGr0zXO2tZ3jdGOw pezjA1jU Yhfb1BwHDzTlN8 IgiVBcA6W00LOCeDC10XEfuCXBtlDmEp3Co

Retrieved from Pinterest

Talking about classics, how could we forget the masterpiece that is The Nightmare Before Christmas? Follow Jack Skellington on his life-changing adventure where he basically embodies the Grinch and tries to steal Christmas—as if being the Pumpkin King AKA the King of Halloween wasn’t enough! This movie truly is a comedic Halloween treasure that can be enjoyed with the whole family—and a group of friends, too.

On the other hand, it’s important to highlight that The Nightmare Before Christmas could be a double-purpose film. What do I mean by double-purpose film? Well, whilst you enjoy a nice and warm Halloween movie, you can also start preparing yourself for Christmas time (cue Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You”)!

5. Girl vs. Monster

3FY5JgVsoNBHRtV 3K4Sd7grO 6IAucwI7QBhS5HEZoGeK9ORDMP39Q1GEe4g0nZBdni71XPQ2iDOYHlNAPTiGW5Bz5a1A9Mb3UmzClvP1ThSSs P4YgGdGyuC3EwHDci5dTgz cE VT7NGQ zdsiVw

Retrieved from Pinterest

In the mood for a real throwback? An early 2010’s Disney Channel throwback? I got you. Although many OG Disney Channel fans are hyper-fixated on the Halloweentown franchise, my guilty pleasure is to stream Girl vs. Monster every Halloween. It’s a classic, maybe one of the best Halloween Disney movies I have ever seen. Reasons? ONE, it’s a musical. SECOND, the plot is clever. THIRD, its cringiness provides enough comedy for a good time. 

Briefly, the plot follows Olivia Holt on the adventure of a lifetime, where she fights an ancient ghoul who happens to be linked to her complex family history. Give yourself the chance to be transported to this early Disney Channel era of quality entertainment.

Bonus:

6. Toy Story of Terror!

HUCE0DDrVoC6ATGlwmtWerque3t 3qwFrGQ4QE 4kvBkiJMY6iJTrt75YHqmDGOThSani4X0c7p1JFHOikByuS3gPFHyL7GNlPT8j

Retrieved from Pinterest

Toy Story of Terror! is a Pixar short film that follows Woody, Buzz, Jessie, and friends in a cute-kind-of-scary adventure to find their missing friend and the unfortunate series of events that unfold. My inner child thrives every time I play this movie; how about yours?

Pennélope Alers López is the team's secretary and a writer at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Pennélope's favorite topics to write about range from entertainment to academics. She writes a bit of everything! Beyond Her Campus, Pennélope works as a Barista at Starbucks Escorial. She loves serving warm coffee and putting a smile on everyone’s faces. She is also a junior at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus, completing a Bachelor's degree in Special Education. In her free time, Pennélope enjoys doing arts and crafts and spending time with her dog, Lilo. She is also a rom-com aficionado—she has a list of over 100 romance movies and series that she has watched throughout the years.