7 Non-Party Activities To Do With Your Friends This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Most of my friends are not really party people. This means that, over the years, we’ve had to get creative when it comes to figuring out fun activities we can do together. Now that Halloween is just around the corner, it’s about time for some brainstorming. Here’s 7 ideas for things to do this spooky season with your people! 

Pumpkin Carving Party

The classic Halloween activity! I actually did this with my friends a few years back and it was lots of fun. The main idea was to put them over our heads, once they were done, but none of us actually fit in ours. Granted, although there were a few botched pumpkin surgeries, it was still pretty cool and we have some memorable pictures from that day. 

Many articles will suggest getting a pumpkin carving toolkit, but I understand if that’s too much of a hassle for a once-a-year thing. However, I’d recommend at least using a decently sharp knife, to make sure there are no accidents. Other than that, grab a spoon (or anything you can scoop the insides out with), a marker, and you’re good to go! Here’s a pretty straightforward article if you need a step-by-step. 

Murder Mystery Game, Anyone?

Probably the most intricate of all the ideas I’ll suggest, but definitely the most enticing. What better way to spend Halloween than pretending to be someone else and trying to solve a murder? I’d probably suggest planning quite a bit of time in advance though. 

There’s plenty of resources online to make sure that your murder mystery party is a success, and there’s even some companies that offer downloadable kits with premade stories. However, if you don’t want to spend money on a story, here’s a list of free games you can try. As for the actual event, feel free to check out this incredibly helpful guide on hosting your very first murder mystery. 

Spooky Photoshoot

Another thing we tried was having a spooky photoshoot. I have vivid memories of pulling  blankets with holes cut out over our faces and posing as ghosts in our friend’s front yard. Just be careful not to trip! (I speak from experience.) We also took some pictures of our costumes with a disposable camera, and they ended up looking really nice. 

Hosting Your Very Own Rocky Horror Picture Show Screening

This one is definitely on my bucket list. Dress up, sing, dance, and laugh, all from the comfort of your friend’s living room. Just don’t wake up their parents. 

Scary Movie Night

Simple, yet effective. Especially if your friend group has a resident cinephile. Grab some snacks and have a scare!

Halloween Painting Session

Grab a canvas and paint with your friends. See who manages to make the spookiest painting.

Tarot Reading

This one is particularly good if you have a psychic friend. However, if your group hasn’t acquired one yet, you can always buy a deck, look up videos, and then compare your reading with your friends’. 

Andrea I. Rodríguez Nieves is a writer for Her Campus at UPR, where she is currently working on writing articles. Some of her topics of interest include fashion, lifestyle, productivity, amongst others. At present, she is coursing her third year at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, where she is majoring in Political Sciences, but with eyes set on Comparative Literature. Under an internship at Seed Academy, a platform seeking to educate independent artists on the music business, she developed some educational articles on royalties, strategies for digital marketing, and others. She has also worked a summer at the Municipality of Cayey’s Public Relations division, where she was given the task of digitizing historical documents. Her hobbies include crocheting, making music, playing video games, and going on long walks. She is a matcha enthusiast, lover of anything fashion related and a resident cat lover. Her ultimate goals in life are opening a boba store in her hometown, as well as being a full-time writer.