Life > Experiences

MY TRAVEL ADVENTURES: EXPLORING WYOMING AND UTAH, BLOODS LAKE & ANTELOPE ISLAND

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

After landing in Salt Lake International Airport, I missed Puerto Rico terribly. I first had a flight from San Juan to Boston and then to Utah but the flight got delayed by four hours. During my visit, I stayed with my cousin and her partner for the next six nights. It was the first time I had been so far away from home, but I wasn’t scared, I was eager for the journey ahead of me. 

FIRST NIGHT IN SALT LAKE

Back in Puerto Rico, through a video call, I told my cousin’s partner that my first request as soon as I landed would be to go to a bar. I had turned 21 the month before so I was legally allowed to drink in the United States. 

We left the airport to go to The Green Pig in Downtown Salt Lake City around 11 PM. It was July 21st, the day the Barbie movie was released in the U.S. so the nightlife streets were filled with people dressed in pink. I expected this would happen so I wore, throughout both flights, a pink t-shirt with the word Barbie across it. 

JrsBPZmJ8ztmWVcCaEHejrePvfBQoMd8O35q Iw3vbEux AJVUqm6L8oklUrMf4LTkubqR17cH2zjtprrIXdCLVora9FXAbneHQJjwSRHWZnXRV1mfCJyZY5RoUXzETDY2JQzBRTFNrrQDTa7VmjJV0

(Me after being asked for a picture in front of The Green Pig)

Inside The Green Pig was the most American bar I had ever seen, obviously because it was the first one I had ever seen. It was like how I had seen them in movies. A small stage close to the entrance, the makeshift dance floor devoid of people, rustic wooden chairs and tables, people sitting in booths, a big bar with stools and shelves of bottles stretching from floor to ceiling on the other side of the room. 

My cousin, her partner, and I took a shot each and made our way next door to an authentic Mexican restaurant, Santo Taco that nowadays I miss. That night, as the joint was filled with people dressed in pink, in a daze with a combination of jet lag and tequila, we ate one of the best Mexican foods I have ever tasted.

(Santo Taco’s logo pictured the day before I left Utah)

On our way to the apartment where their dog, Athena, was waiting, we listened to Rauw Alejandro’s “DE CAROLINA” with the windows down, arms out the windows, and the sunroof open. If I close my eyes, I can still remember the feeling of the car speeding through the road with only the streetlights lighting the way.

ROAD TRIP TO GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK

My cousin did not mind if we had all gone to sleep at 2:00 AM or if I was jet lagged, she woke us all up early in the morning anyway and we hit the road with Athena. On our way to Grand Teton National Park, we saw a beautiful lake with many boats, Facetimed almost my entire family so that they could also admire the scenery, and visited a small bakery where we ate sweets as we got closer to the edge of Utah. 

OieaK jY3WCqfiGad34FzM3fstUo68RwE5Ht0 6pxOCEKQIR38kCBaa9kX8 rFXSk4ycMqaKKgCI 4hG5XutP2LK ca5L4nmgX9I9qDpqYAVjKbPbnr4kikbIC8aQ4raZf08f2HsgDzjGyIcp VKCco

(This small lake at Coalville, Utah had many boats lapping around the water)

A few hours later, I made sure to make my cousin take a picture of me in front of a big sign that read “Welcome to Wyoming” because I could not stop joking about how Nahiomy was in Wyoming. 

As we continued along the road to Grand Teton, we sang indie songs and admired the vast, green pastures that passed us as we cruised under the roaring sun. The heat is not the same as the one in Puerto Rico, it does not make you sweat, but even as you feel the sun on your skin, your lungs fill with cold. 

Before arriving at our destination, we stopped by Snake River in Alpine, Wyoming. As we passed, rafts flowed down the river at high speeds in small boats filled with people. When we left the car, I went to the shore of the lake and cold rushed my body. Since we were closer to the mountains, the chill of the still snowy peaks followed us. 

GtWu4nVbwR25ILIYYgsM7ze1dde33t7DmqpWu3358BNWY 5pk3JmsPGaG iX

(The ambiance at Snake River with the sun shining down on the rafts passing by)

At around 4 PM, we finally reached the entrance to Grand Teton National Park. The mountains looming behind fields of pine trees, the feeling of remoteness and peace was undeniable. While approaching Jenny Lake, we observed the highest peaks that in July weather were still covered with small but noticeable patches of snow. 

(A viewpoint at Grand Teton lets you look at one of the tallest peaks in the park)

I begged my cousin to let us leave the car and see a bit of Jenny Lake, and so we did. It was not disappointing. The small path leading to the body of water was filled with information on the animals spotted around such as squirrels, birds, and bears. Once in front of the lake, many people were playing or relaxing in the water as boats zoomed by in the distance. The atmosphere was peaceful, nothing like I had ever experienced.

SdXfgGdrBYAKK5uFbMkHiOtSFlyHzCDt5vmLwnGPLis1eTSnqJG mLsQDKgw pLfALb0PTPuyOv9WlkkmYsBtbW7qReiTpGGV5NYnaywg4OW8I9CwY4USFkazImVFwuWPit3sludcH2

(Jenny Lake on a sunny Saturday afternoon)

After visiting Grand Teton, we were hungry so we stopped by a restaurant in a little town we passed. There, we also bought souvenirs for our family in Puerto Rico. We made our way back at 8 PM with a four hour drive ahead of us (thank you past Nahiomy for taking many pictures, the time stamps help). 

What is weird about traveling to a new place is to observe the time the sun goes down. In Puerto Rico, most people would be getting ready to go to bed because it was dark out by 8:45 in the evening. In Wyoming, by that time, it was still light out. We passed by Snake River again, but this time we saw no one on the water.

Lwd QeWIhsbf3aSXaYJCXnGu9YkBKoxeGHgopfX72mUxuDOdZl9ekjQoqOJgZjgtxqx2rx7hrA9 ssk4QljMpmGXL 8AwSnUaPub 3VXCkT4J4XPsLd6U7ZUMAUsXZ3PzdwtTNcYS9JXIBMRftNR3Mw

(Snake River at 8:45 PM)

We arrived exhausted at the apartment at 1:30 AM but tomorrow would be the day we would go hiking, an activity I would grow to despise. 

MY FIRST DAY OF HIKING WAS A CHALLENGE

I was told that we were going to hike on my trip to Utah so I tried to prepare beforehand. Almost every day for two to three weeks, I would go up hills for an hour in the park near my home. Unfortunately, that was not enough to prepare me for what awaited me in the mountains. 

We woke up early again and had breakfast at McDonalds. My biggest mistake was eating too much and I would grow to regret that later in the day. Before heading up the mountains, we washed the car at a self-wash place and struggled badly. Then we finally made our way to Big Cottonwood Canyon.

There, we saw a beautiful river flowing down the rock. The environment was cold, but the water was colder. We had to be careful not to slip to reach the rushing river where I took a very small gray rock (yes, it is legal, I checked). 

SdgVzfxuCIHJe2at9R1K zuoeBc6KTvhYwJRoRrNvL5sDeOiaMqo0JAfUBRM4gfLbbY3gxrkBDPG6UiDuayU41xAS24GwtWRMLaNhxzXzQFRYiFMYt

(Big Cottonwood Creek was a loud but peaceful home to many rocks and plants)

After moving the car, we started heading up the mountain and following the trail. Oh. My. Days. I was out of breath, fighting the ice cold in my lungs, my hands were freezing, and my feet were trying not to slip on uneven ground. I was terrified of accidentally stepping on the wrong rock and falling down. My legs were shaking so much, we had to stop every few minutes so that I could recover. 

When we reached a high point in the mountains, we took pictures and started heading down. Some people, not gonna point fingers, started making fun of me for my genuine hard time (I love you my dear prima I swear).

WidAy9TKC4od 8dUT8iNpiL5vvEQB691tXL8qfYk7IBxwwWK6

(I was told to pose as if I was doing yoga in front of a waterfall and so I did)

My recollection after this is a bit blurry when we arrived at Bloods Lake Trailhead. At first, I did not pay any mind to the name. In the car, my cousin and her partner had said this trail was easier than Big Cottonwood Canyon. I regret believing them.

Bloods Lake Trail was not exactly steep, at first. The scenery was beautiful, with different types of trees and bees buzzing around vibrant flowers. However, as we got closer to the remote, above ground lake, the hike worsened and so did I, which is around the time I stopped taking pictures. Physically exhausted from the last hike, I started this one on already shaky legs and the lake was almost an hour away.

B2TQdXP5M54ZfUGb6 7oddTvs59 ot4dlVklHujWg1JgDgp5T6o8bq2c7rVRXBT kUx VvKuvhL4XzCiO77ls4q c dVSc4dry4j9E7huDjopVCf SFOTX7zLmWM

(The beginning of the trail to Bloods Lake was not difficult terrain, at first)

Focusing on trying not to slip or puke (because of the big breakfast, in case you did not remember), I complained constantly to my cousin about how long until we reached the top. I swear, she said about three times we were almost there and we were not there. I repeated many times I would throw up but never did. The cold seeped into my lungs making it fairly difficult to breathe since I had never been this high up. My companions were already used to hiking in the icy Utah mountains, I was not. 

At one point we had to fully stop because I had a panic attack. I still do not know if it was because I saw no escape from the towering trees and difficult terrain or because it was harder to breathe. I had to sit on a rock for a few minutes and try to calm my breathing. My cousin said we could not stop for long so we continued until we reached the top.

Ve22erLLVPdXsYyMifrzg0jtb3yQgUHkMhYz099ldphL7 LDzzRoV8y8cv 85IwHheJgCkzTQrvP LrePuSbATe6a Y44PerJTTiGwCHmE N6bgRNj 1tBIRN8iOEpFV IqZsrl4wH3l5W0myonK4qo

(At this point in the journey, I stopped taking pictures because of the difficult terrain)

At Bloods Lake, many people were rejoicing in the water. I spent most of my time on the dirt floor trying to catch my breath after hiking for an hour. We saw little clumps of snow and I cannot believe that this was the first time I saw snow. 15 minutes later, I was told we had to make our way down. I almost started crying. My cousin’s partner took a picture of her and me in front of Bloods Lake before leaving and we made our way down.

My memory has blocked how I went down the mountain, I only remember my cousin reaffirming that I could do this. Once we got to the car, I vowed I would not hike ever again. Dear prima, if you are reading this, I am sorry if I made you worry. Also, if you think I was being dramatic, I was not.

V PF0pvPVk4R IMcqHhzKKqO9BrrKcxwziOfp75SGrzy2ikDJcr8f2A5y9rA FDeyHV02URipYWZmdq1xQ7ylOlwi1 jKuqIoKfoKVQdm ZQNcVbso8S00iK2Ky6ot1U1HitL98E3eR862L52jFkl6A

(Finally made it up to Bloods Lake. That is me on the left trying to look like I can breathe normally. That’s my cousin beside me and her partner taking the picture)

ANTELOPE ISLAND

Remember when I said I would not go on another hike? When we reached a small beach on Antelope Island, I was told we would do an easier trail. Two days after Bloods Lake Trailhead, I had gone shopping and tasted Chipotle for the first time (not up to the hype). 

On Antelope Island, there were deers, antelopes, dragonflies, and buffalos, which we saw from a distance. Then, we made our way to a dried up beach. Once parked, I was told this trail would be quick. When I arrived, it looked like a desert. The heat was dry. There were insects everywhere. 

Out of the three hikes, this was the easiest, but it was still draining. It was a 30 minute hike up to a certain point, and 30 minutes back. What made this hike difficult for me was the fact I had to pee and I refused to pee anywhere that was not a bathroom. The struggle was real. 

M9Fb1ZlMfJJecLSGgKaWuWk5uaG81tqI8KB

(The environment at Antelope Island was specially dry)

We left Antelope Island and the rest of my time in Utah was spent in and out of stores and inside the house spending quality time with Athena and her parents. They took me to a small cute bookstore and I saw, in passing, High School Musical’s physical high school. 

During my last day, we went back to Santo Taco one last time. 

BITTERSWEET GOODBYES

Carolina had just won the BSN Championship back in Puerto Rico and I was able to glimpse the victory on YouTube while I packed. The day before, my cousin had helped me pack most of my clothes, so I was just storing my family’s souvenirs. My cousin, her partner, me, and even Athena were all sitting down on the floor of my makeshift room which was actually a study with a pullout couch. There, I hope they did not notice, I was choking back tears. 

As we shared pictures of our days together and laughed at Athena acting frantically about the room, I could not help but miss this. Miss being in the beautiful home my cousin had built with the love of her life. Miss waking up and seeing my cousin and her partner daily. Miss seeing Athena through the small crack beneath the door every morning as she whined for me to come out. Miss witnessing their daily routine and how much they choose to love each other every day. 

It was around 3 AM when we left for the airport. One of the hardest things was saying goodbye to Athena who could not stop barking until we left the garage. They told me it was because she knew I was leaving. Through the whole car ride, I only remember telling myself to hold back tears. I do not know if we talked or not. 

Once in front of Salt Lake National Airport, I hugged my cousin and her partner goodbye, not being able to look them in the eye. I thanked them for accepting me into their home and letting me run freely for a few days. I knew I would soon start crying, not knowing when I would see them next, so I waved, grabbed my suitcase, and left. Finally, I would arrive home but at the cost of saying farewell to another.

Nahiomy Cruz Betancourt is a writer at Her Campus at UPR. Her articles generally cover books, movies, games, pop culture, and music. Beyond Her Campus, Nahiomy was a journalist for 3 years at Pulso Estudiantil where she covered a wide range of topics but focused on Afro-descendants and student life. She has written the short story “Overcoming Silence” for Volume 7 Number 2 of [IN]Genios which is a semiannual University of Puerto Rico literary and investigative magazine. She is currently in her fourth year at the University of Puerto Rico majoring in Journalism with a minor in English Literature. When she is not studying or writing, Nahiomy enjoys reading, playing video games, listening to indie music, and impulse buying pretty vinyl. Her favorite books include "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir and "Legendborn" by Tracy Deonn. She frequently watches 90’s to early 2000’s sitcoms and collects Pokémon cards. The current games she is obsessed with are "Baldur’s Gate 3" and "Valorant." A movie she always has on repeat is "10 Things I Hate About You." In the future, she would be interested in getting into "Dungeons & Dragons" and collecting "Magic The Gathering" cards.