MOVIES TO WATCH ON NETFLIX DURING SPOOKY SEASON AS A SCAREDY-CAT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I was 18 years old when I first saw a horror movie and it was The Conjuring. When the credits rolled at 3 a.m, I opened Disney+ and started watching Moana until dawn. After that, during the three months I could barely sleep, I swore I would not watch another horror movie again, or at least not so late at night with the lights turned off. 

With Halloween right around the corner, the best way to get into a spooky mood is usually to watch horror movies. However, for some people (I am “some people”) scary movies are not in the cards. If you relate to not being able to go to the movie theater with your friends to watch the newest Nun movie or do not feel motivated by the idea of the annual House of Phobia, this is the list of films for you to get in the spooky season mood.

Halloween Comedies

For scaredy-cats, Halloween comedies are probably the safest bet. They are bound to bring at least a smile or a laugh out of you while preparing you for the celebration of All Hallows’ Eve. 

The Curse of Bridge Hollow features a star-studded cast of actors and comedians, such as Marlon Wayans from White Chicks, Priah Ferguson from Stranger Things, singer Kelly Rowland, and Rob Riggle from 21 Jump Street

The film is about a man and his daughter who team up to save their town after an ancient spirit causes Halloween decorations to come to life.

nDvbMltIz5v LsBU1aM7CPfHKg3Dh8XFv2IxIxvcxwRQkSMpWFmErtrbUSlut9GHbwK3lK5HB94mK NGYQQDZGJzer0ujalC4pwE5Vd6M6xyzLiNgbpHTFp tfxgZ1RWndznxMmPaFFfV7zczYVQ Wc

Retrieved from Pinterest

Along the same vein to the previous movie is Goosebumps, which features Jack Black, who is arguably the best part of the movie. The film follows a young Zach Cooper who is infatuated with his new next-door neighbor, Hannah, whose protective father is famous author R.L. Stine of the best-selling book series Goosebumps. However, it all goes horribly wrong when the protagonist unleashes the monsters from the fantastic tales, and it is up to this ragtag team of teens and an author to return the creatures to their books. 

On the weirder side of Netflix comedy movies, in a dark, forgotten corner, is Hubie Halloween, an Adam Sandler production. It is Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts, and the town’s eccentric community volunteer finds himself in the midst of a murder mystery and serial disappearances (no, not the other Adam Sandler movie with Jennifer Aniston) and he takes it upon himself to investigate. This film is very strange, but strangely funny. 

Oldies But Goodies

FkSJBetGOYRQuwhL6Jl6mXRaVP8ZeROPYqjhZs6xbEY3eyR9n00P8Jg4u9APeYYjvZnIy0QJ2ZrIonP2VIFlLVjHYjwDMZEhYRpFOPY6dBzefrQ1omXHGKMddqQODuQ6cwEzMdfSALl aDqP Ls6FuE

Retrieved from Pinterest

At any point in time, you might have heard of or seen Matilda. If not, what are you waiting for? The film follows the story of young and intelligent Matilda, who lives with rude parents and has to put up with an evil principal, Agatha Trunchbull. However, she soon discovers she has the power of telekinesis and begins to use it to defend those close to her. This is the perfect movie to cozy up to during a rainy day in the fall. 

On the other hand, imagine my surprise as Casper makes an appearance on Netflix’s roster for this Halloween. The classic kids movie tells the story of a peaceful ghost who haunts a mansion, but then a specialist comes along to investigate the manor with his daughter, Kat. Casper quickly develops feelings for the girl, who is portrayed by Christina Ricci, the legendary actress who played Wednesday Addams in the 1991 version of The Addams Family. Just like with Matilda, if you are looking for nostalgia this spooky season, these are the picks for you!

Horror But Not Really

cU7AvX5 3DcYDo9So1mG65GXThhQ0 aaySj80wE4tKHbv1D7h1dG

Retrieved from Pinterest

I will not lie, this is where it starts to get a bit spooky. Crimson Peak, starring Tom Hiddleston and Mia Wasikowska, is a horror romance mystery about young Edith, who marries Sir Thomas Sharpe and moves to his remote gothic mansion. Also living there is Lady Lucille, Thomas’ sister and protector of the family’s dark secrets. While living in the manor, Edith tries to decipher the mystery behind the ghostly visions that haunt her new home. It is an intriguing movie with blood and a spicy scene, so be sure to watch with closed doors. 

I cannot end this list without including a movie based on a Stephen King novel. In the Tall Grass may be the scariest film in this list. A brother and sister enter a field of tall grass to rescue a boy, but they soon realize they cannot leave and something evil is lurking in the grass. If you want to watch a film on the verge of being scary but not actually scary with many jump scares, gore, unsettling scenes (trigger warning: mention of rape), and symbolisms that will haunt you for hours, this is the movie for you. 

If you would like to watch Netflix curated films, make sure to check out their Enter If You Dare Halloween Collection, with a list of spooky movies.

Nahiomy Cruz Betancourt is a writer at Her Campus at UPR. Her articles generally cover books, movies, games, pop culture, and music. Beyond Her Campus, Nahiomy was a journalist for 3 years at Pulso Estudiantil where she covered a wide range of topics but focused on Afro-descendants and student life. She has written the short story “Overcoming Silence” for Volume 7 Number 2 of [IN]Genios which is a semiannual University of Puerto Rico literary and investigative magazine. She is currently in her fourth year at the University of Puerto Rico majoring in Journalism with a minor in English Literature. When she is not studying or writing, Nahiomy enjoys reading, playing video games, listening to indie music, and impulse buying pretty vinyl. Her favorite books include "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir and "Legendborn" by Tracy Deonn. She frequently watches 90’s to early 2000’s sitcoms and collects Pokémon cards. The current games she is obsessed with are "Baldur’s Gate 3" and "Valorant." A movie she always has on repeat is "10 Things I Hate About You." In the future, she would be interested in getting into "Dungeons & Dragons" and collecting "Magic The Gathering" cards.