This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Train to Busan is a 2016 South Korean zombie, action, and thriller movie by award-winning director, Yeon Sang-ho. It currently has a score of 96% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and an average rating of 7.5/10 on IMDb. Starring actor Goon Yoo, as well as Jung Yu-mi and Ma Dong-Seok, the movie is set during the chaotic outbreak of a zombie apocalypse. Workaholic and divorced father Seok-woo and daughter Su-an are on their way to Busan to visit the girl’s mother. However, as the train is departing, the city of Seoul collapses, leaving Busan, luckily enough, the only safe place from these risen, carnivorous creatures. Unfortunately, a zombie makes it inside the train, making the stakes for survival high and dangerous.

The movie starts slow, showing how the disease started to spread as well as presenting the main characters. I like action and gore in my zombie movies, but I also like a good story. Through it, we receive that two— action and story—hand-in-hand. The absentee father becomes his daughter’s hero as he tries to save them both, finally showing how much he does care for her even if he does not know how to show it well. Another thing I enjoyed was seeing an exploited western movie idea interpreted and adapted to a non-western society affected by western ideals. This is clear with CEO Yon-suk (by actor Kim Eui-sung) who is extremely selfish, annoying, arrogant, and egocentric. His character is deeply contrasted with the other survivors who work together for the benefit of everyone. However, the homeless man, (by actor Choi Gwi-Hwa), was the perfect antithesis to the CEO. One living in the streets had more heart and compassion than the rich one who quite literally kills anyone for his own survival; fate is good for him. Maybe I was looking too deeply, but I could see the influence of the American capitalist lifestyle and think about this culture through those tiny actionsI loved it.

I saw this film during a difficult political time last year while I was at home; it was cathartic. I would curse and scream at everyone, cry and hold my hands at the edge of the sofa. So stressful and heartbreaking, but so good. There is a perfect balance between tension scenes and the heartfelt ones, with a little bit of humor thrown in. Although, a warning for those who cannot tolerate it, there is a lot of gore and blood. Personally, I think it gave the zombies a realistic touch as well as categorizing the movie into the horror side. If you like The Walking Dead, Zombieland, or World War Z, this film is for you.

In the West, we tend to remain West-focused when it comes to the entertainment consumption. However, South Korea has proved that it is more than at the level (sometimes above, if you ask me) of Hollywood with its dramas and movies, such as this one. According to Soompi, the movie was the first Korean movie of that year to overcome the 10 million viewers mark and became a box office hit since its July 20 release in 2016.

Unique and thrilling in its interpretation of the swamped zombie theme, Train to Busan is a must-watch. It is by far, one of my favorite zombie movies. Hollywood, sit down and take notes from your new competition.

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3

I'm Jennifer. Addicted reader, and lover of books. I'm a full-time college student majoring in English Literature with aspirations of being a professional editor. Among other things. In the meantime, I obsess over books, history, art, and politics. I believe in freedom of speech and reading whatever you want. ?