Modeling Sensation Melanie Rivera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Melanie Rivera

Age: 19

Major: Business Administration

Year: Freshman

Welcome to the world of modeling, where the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step forward. Melanie Rivera, a freshman business administration major, is already on the right foot in her pursuit of stardom. Since she was 7 years old, she experienced the spotlight as a model. Ever since, Melanie has been working her way up to fulfilling her lifelong dream.

HCUPR: Best and worst working experiences in modeling…

Melanie: I enjoyed working with Victoria’s Secrets’ assistant photographer Alex Walt, and German photographer Jürgen Frank in a shoot I did for an editorial that was supposed to be published for Condé Nast Traveler, but never was (because of editorial changes). Also, another exciting gig was when I had the opportunity of working a shoot for an Austrian magazine section in The Kronezeitung, a national newspaper. On the other hand, I think one of the most challenging experiences that I’ve faced in modeling has been receiving physical critiques for my weight (even though I’m not fat).

HCUPR: Tell me your most memorable moment…

Melanie: When I met Adriana Lima. I literally cried because I was so excited and I couldn’t believe that I was actually meeting her in person. She even told me: “OMG you’re so beautiful and exotic.”

HCUPR: What do you think is people’s perspective about models?

Melanie: I think society sees us as dumb and air-headed bimbos, when that’s not the reality. If you pick a brain of a model, you’ll find wonderful things. Which is my case, I’m studying business and I got accepted to the most prestigious university in the Island, the University of Puerto Rico. I have to concentrate and study to get good grades, just like any other regular college student. People should know that models do work and make a lot of sacrifices to survive in the industry. We have to always keep in shape, not just physically but mentally. The industry is hard and sometimes even cruel.

HCUPR: What has been your big break in the industry?

Melanie: When I switched from the modeling agency that I use to represent. That one gave me the exposure. But all the editorials like Imagen, the Wild Pair and Novus campaign are the big breaks that I’ve had with Element Models, which is the agency that I’m modeling for now.

HCUPR: What are your plans with modeling?

Melanie: I want to take one semester off school so that I can travel and model in the U.S. I haven’t had the chance yet because I still don’t meet the requirements for modeling internationally. 

HCUPR: Who’s your role model?

Melanie: I think I’d have to say Ann La Place. She’s not only my teacher, friend and mentor, but she’s also my role model. I look up to her a lot because she’s just the best example of how a person can juggle both a life and a modeling career. 

HCUPR: What inspires you the most?

Melanie: I think the fact that you get to play two different roles. When you’re modeling, you have another personality, you’re acting. Then, off the lens and off the runway you’re a complete different person. 

HCUPR: What characteristics or traits do you think give you an edge as an up-and-coming model?

Melanie: I believe that looks aren’t everything, but they do help a lot. I think that what has made me a unique model is my role play in each photoshoot or runway show. Also, I’ve been lucky enough to be part of the small group of models with tanned and olive skin, which makes me a little bit more exotic. 

*The pictures were taken from:

Melanie Rivera’s Portfolio

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!