This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As part of my debut as Her Campus-UPR Contributor, I introduce this week’s Campus Cutie, Alexandra. She’s a true definition of a passionate heart, for singing, and helping others. Her bright smile leaves everyone who comes across her in awe. She is a proud member of the UPR Choir, student counselor in “Programa de Estudiantes Orientadores,” and even a Zumba Fitness instructor. 

Name: Alexandra “Sandy” Michelle Robles Lugo 

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio

Age: 19

BA: Major in Psychology & minor in Music 

Hometown: Trujillo Alto, PR

HCUPR: I bet a lot of people recognize you as a passionate singer, when and how did you know that singing was your precious talent?

Alexandra: In second grade, my music teacher gave us singing lessons. Ever since I started, I loved it. The teacher noticed and taught me a lot of things during recess and even after class. As I got older, I spent several years in and out of different kinds of places that provided singing lessons, including the School of Arts of Trujillo Alto and the Conservatory of Music. Today I’m very blessed to be part of the Choir of the UPRRP. My only regret about all of this, is not seizing more time in every class I take. Singing is my passion, it’s one the components that makes me, me. 

HCUPR: Tell us about your experience of being part of the choir.

Alexandra: It’s been amazing! I’ve met many members and I’m still learning the names of some. It’s the first “big choir” that I participate in and I am very proud to be part of it. I got chills in my first presentation, “Querida Gilda”, when we sang the “O Fortuna” by Carmina Burana & received a standing ovation. I’ll never forget that night.

HCUPR: What inspired you to develop and continue to carry out your talent for singing?

Alexandra: Honestly, the mere passion that I have for it. You always get criticisms like: “You’re not going anywhere with that” or “that’s not very successful here in Puerto Rico”. I do it because I like it, because I feel happy doing it. My family is the most important thing in my life, and they support me, and that’s all that matters. Besides, the music, despite being the most common reason, it is not used just for entertainment, but also serves as therapy, and this is what I want to dedicate in my life.

HCUPR: What goes through your mind while you’re performing? 

AlexandraI’ve never been asked that! Well, before I start to sing I think: “Okay, Sandy. This is what you’ve been rehearsing for. This is the moment of truth, show’ em what you’re made of!  And then I look at the audience: Good God, what have I done! There’s too many people here, I’m going to die. Where’s mom?!”. And to this point I have a mini heart attack, until I manage to see my mom. When the music starts, I always close my eyes, let myself go into it, I inhale as much as I can and I start to sing. I usually forget any negative thoughts, I look directly at the public and start to sing for them. It’s an honor to sing to them. Time sure flies when you do what you love. At the end, the best satisfaction is to receive the applause of the audience. 

HCUPR: How does it feel being a student counselor?

Alexandra: Being part of the “Programa de Estudiantes Orientadores” has been one of the most rewarding processes I have experienced. I’ve grown as a person, as a friend, as a leader by doing what I like most: helping others. Sometimes it’s a little tedious, because many students have a bad image of the program, like “we harass too much”, and that’s not really the case. We are a group of very passionate people who just want to give the best of us. 

HC: Something that not many people know about you?

Alexandra: Many people think I’m super outgoing and fun, but the truth is that I’m super shy. Many times I’ll shut myself off completely, and yes, I’m listening to the person, but I don’t dare myself to say something. It’s something I’ve improved, but I still have not completely overcome. 

HCUPR: Not only are you singer and student counselor, you’re also a Zumba instructor, right? How’s it like? 

Alexandra: I became a Zumba instructor because I wanted a job where I wouldn’t have a boss. So, I loved the idea of a job where I can dance and sing to make money (yes I do give mini concerts to my students while we dance). I really love it, especially because I know I do a good job and I strive to give good classes. I like seeing the results and feel pleased with my classes. I love to teach others that health is the first step towards a fulfilling life. 

HCUPR: It looks like your passion also accompanies you in your studies like a minor in Music along with Psychology as major. What motivated you to study Psychology? 

Alexandra: I’ve always known I was born to help others. I love giving my best. Since childhood I was the “psychologist” among my friends. My grandfather was a psychiatrist, and although he died before I could learn everything I wanted to know from him, I’ve realized that it runs through my veins, and through my studies and experience I understand the why of things. And better yet, I learn to fix or improve them. 

HCUPR: What has been your most victorious and embarrassing moments?

Alexandra: Half of my life is made of embarrassing moments, I am massively clumsy. The other day I fell to my knees in the theater at a Choir rehearsal. But, the most embarrassing moment of my life has been paying the consequences of actions that I never committed, that were made up and many believed them. Meanwhile, the most victorious moment of of my life has been graduating from high school and enrolling in my beloved IUPI. I’m studying what I want, I’m part of the choir, student counselor, and I have my goals perfectly defined, even though the road is a little fuzzy, but that won’t stop me. 

HCUPR: What are your goals and plans for the future?

Alexandra: I want to become an independent and self-sufficient woman, open my own business and be successful. I don’t want to be greedy and only want money, I wish to be rich emotionally. I do wish to work hard enough  so I can take my mother to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, buy my dad the car of his dreams, and help my brother open his own veterinary clinic and support him in everything he does. Honestly, I just want to keep doing what makes me happy.

HCUPR: Through your talents and academic achievements, what mark do you want to leave to the world? 

Alexandra: The mark I want to leave to the world…well, I want to leave many marks, many grains of sand. I want to be that person that people would remember with much love, for those little thing I did that changed their lives. Or like Rosa Parks, who refused to move from her seat. I want to make the world a better place.

Dayanara is a sociology student with a passion for learning about the world of criminology, cultural sciences and the many difficulties that the society faces. A kind, dedicated and determined girl known for being a "box full of surprises". From being a professional and sophisticated young lady devoted to studying to an anime, manga and videogame lover, even being a skilled swimmer and taekwondo athlete. Her goals are limitless and can do anything she sets her mind into. She believes that someday the day will come when people truly understand and help one another and hopes for a better progress in our society. Her purpose is to be part of that change.