Making the Cut: The Fashion Reality TV Show Everyone’s Talking About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If you’re a fashion lover like me, chances are you’re familiar with fashion reality TV shows like Project Runway and Next In Fashion. However, just when I thought these shows couldn’t get any better, Amazon Prime Video made an exciting announcement in March: both Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, the two  former hosts of Bravo’s Project Runway (before Karlie Kloss and Christian Siriano replaced them), would collaborate on a brand new TV show gamechanger! 

A post shared by Making the Cut (@makingthecuttv) on

You might ask yourself, what makes this show so special? While it may seem like a fancier and more elaborate version of Project Runway, let’s take a look at how this new show is revolutionizing TV fashion competitions. 

For starters, Making The Cut’s contestants are from all over the world, not just from the U.S.ㅡa change that highlights the global diversity of fashion. Thanks to this diversity, contestants get to show the audience their very own interpretations of style from a more cultural perspective. The show presents each contestant and their respective backgrounds, personal life, specialties, and experience in fashion. Which brings me to my next point: all of the designers featured in Making The Cut are highly skilled and experts within each of their craft niches. While some are creative directors, professors, or students, others are self-taught or fashion entrepreneurs. The possibilities are endless!

All the contestants from Making The Cut Season 1

In contrast to Project Runway and its emphasis on garment-sewing, Making The Cut focuses on the creative process behind the final product. Instead of sewing every single clothing item for each episode’s final runway, all contestants are provided the help of a team of seasoned seamstresses and tailors. Their job is to interpret the designer’s tech packs (aka the instructional manual) and manufacture their garments. The show is also unique in that it encourages contestants to share their own branding and reflect it on the garments they make. In this way, the judges become engaged with each contestant’s personal aesthetic and deliberate based on what they expect/know about each one’s own style.

Now, on to the judges! We already know that the dynamic duo of Klum and Gunn plays a vital role in the show. While Gunn serves as a mentor during the creative process, he also plays the role of backstage moral support for every contestant before their runway shows. Besides being a host, Klum is also one of the six judges. The other five are also well known in the fashion industry. First up, we have Joseph Altuzarra, the founding father/head designer of his own women’s luxury clothing brand, Altuzarra.

Then, there’s have the famous British model Naomi Campbell. Although most of the time, she is quite stern and hot-tempered with the contestants (trust that she will point out a flaw in front of every other contestant and judge!), she’s very caring with her favorite contestants when the time comes to make difficult decisions. This includes, of course, defending them to the very end, even if it costs her an argument with the other judges. Next, we have celebrity and fashion designer Nicole Ritchie, Italian social media influencer, Chiara Ferragni, and the famous french fashion editor of Vogue Paris, Carine Roitfeld.

It all came down to the final votes ? Have you watched the season finale yet on @amazonprimevideo with @amazonfashion?

Three of the judges in action: Nicole Ritchie, Chiara Ferragni and Joseph Altuzarra (from left to right)

Their deliberation process is, to put it simply, quite unconventional. Instead of eliminating one participant per episode, the judges make it clear from the start that any number of contestants can be eliminated in a single episodeーwhich means there’s even more pressure for the hard-working designers. Additionally, each at-risk contestant that faces elimination will have an opportunity to speak up and plead their case to the judges. In other words, their explanations on why they deserve to stay can change the judge’s opinions and save their spot in the competition.   

In terms of environment, Season 1 of Making The Cut takes place in two of the world’s fashion capitals: Paris and Tokyo! In each episode, we can appreciate how each contestant interacts with the various sites and locations they visit as part of their challenges. Each episode takes place on a different runway, albeit not just your regular catwalk. That’s rightevery catwalk is immensely extravagant, complete with stunning visuals, beautiful ambiances (either indoors or outdoors), and captivating sounds appropriate to each event. These productions are attended by a multitude of spectators beside the judges. All things considered, it’s a pretty big deal. 

A post shared by RINAT BRODACH (@rinatbrodach) on

Contestant Rinat Brodach’s looks for the “streetwear” competition

The show sounds great, you might think… but what about the winner’s takeaway? First place winner getsーbrace yourselfーone million dollars to support their brand or fashion venture! However, the winner of each competition, final winner or not, has the chance to sell one of their winning garments on the Amazon Making The Cut store for less than $100 a piece. Talk about accessible and chic! The only downside is that these garments go fast, so if you’re interested in purchasing one, you must stay tuned to the show to order them ASAP.

Now that you have a clearer picture of the show and how it works, it’s time for you to give it a whirl! Be prepared for unexpected eliminations, surprises, and (like in any reality TV contest) loads of drama. Also, keep your eyes peeled for beautiful and extravagant designs. But most importantly, this show is a chance for you to appreciate the meaning of hard work, determination, and following dreams, even if it means sacrifices have to be made to achieve them. It also highlights that no matter your country or your education, your talent, passion, and real commitment will always shine through.

Andrea Capllonch is a Comparative Literature grad student that loves editing literary and journalistic content, discovering coffee shops and creating playlists for just about anything. She aspires to someday break into the literary world as an editor for a publishing house or an online publication. When she isn't busy editing or working at the local indie bookstore, you'll most likely find her cuddling her two cats, Bobby and Ziggy.