This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

A world where dreams come true and friendly animals help you along the way. Disney has built a realm with no limitations. Watching their films made me believe that nothing was impossible, especially, and my personal favorites, the Disney princess movies. I’ll  admit that a big part of why I like them is due to their aesthetics; their pastel colors, flamboyant clothes, volumized hair, and beautiful scenery, but I digress. Regardless of the princess, I always tried to see myself in their character and find ways I could relate to them. I admired how they were always poised and had a good demeanor. A quick disclaimer, I know that some of the actions of the princesses can be problematic and up for debate, but I’m only going to emphasize what my younger self took from them and what I still reminisce about today. 

Cinderella

Cinderella was always my favorite princess growing up; I used to watch her three films on a regular basis. She had a heart of gold, despite being treated badly by her stepmother and step sisters. Evidently, she didn’t have anywhere else to go, but Cinderella never let the cruelness of others turn her kindness into something else. Her treatment in the household was horrible and she was aware of it, she was bound to clean and cook everything for everyone while her personal needs were casted aside. However, she also never stopped dreaming, she had faith in her dreams and that eventually things would get better; and they did. This princess holds a special place in my heart. She serves as a reminder that being nice to others comes at no price and to never let the cruelty of the world take away our hope and fondness. 

Mulan 

Mulan rearranged a part of my brain. She was the first Disney princess I saw in actual combat. Her love and bravery always inspired me, stretching as far as going to war herself in order to protect her family. Mulan was desperately trying to prove herself to the world and her family that she was worthy of them and their honor. This princess faced adversity and came out victorious. She had to go through countless trials; her rigorous training, leaving her family behind, the war, and her self transformation. At the beginning, she wasn’t good at her training and was thus encouraged to go back home, but she didn’t give up, she prevailed. At the end, she was the warrior that saved a nation. So, if you can take anything from her story, let it be her bravery. 

Belle 

The people of Belle’s village saw her as weird and odd, but this didn’t stop her or incite her to change her ways. Belle was nice to everyone, even if she knew people didn’t like her, because she learned that being yourself was more than enough regardless of what others might think. Another lesson I learned from her was that we can’t judge people too fast. So don’t judge a book by its cover, which I find hard to do from time to time, because under that façade you might find a wonderful person that was simply being misunderstood from the start. 

There’s many more Disney princesses you can learn lessons from. These are the ones I personally go back to when I need a little pick me up, no matter how old I grow. Cinderella’s kindness, Mulan’s bravery, and Belle’s confidence, are universal virtues that everyone can benefit from regardless if they’re particularly fond of princesses or not. Celebrate the virtues of the people that inspire you and allow yourself to dream while never loosing sight of your inner child.

Alejandra Negrón Rodríguez is a writer and Events Director at Her Campus at UPR. She manages all chapter events, prioritizing in coordinating and organizing for a range of successful and fun activities. She mostly writes culture and entertainment articles, but as an avid reader, her favorite one’s are book reviews. She is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, majoring in Political Science with a minor in French. At Her Campus, writing became a muse for her, because she can transform her interests into works for others to enjoy. When she’s not writing, Alejandra reads books or buys them (ask her overwhelming mountain of unread books). Alejandra also loves learning new languages, crocheting, and spending time with her friends.