Justin Baldoni: Where are the Men?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Known as Rafael from the CW series Jane the Virgin, the feminist actor, and entrepreneur, Justin Baldoni, recently held a TED Talk towards the idea of redefining masculinity in our contemporary society. His ideas stem from the exhaustion he feels at a phrase (of being  “man enough”) he constantly encounters. This is a social construct implemented by men throughout their upbringing. According to Baldoni, this norm makes the common man understand that their weakness is a stigma to be avoided. He believes that this cycle can truly break once men learn that they are welcome to embrace their emotions, insecurities, and doubts; all qualities they have been told since early childhood to be “feminine” and “unmanly”. He expresses that the male population must learn from women; learn to be brave enough to show weakness. He advocates that this movement must transcend hand in hand with gender equality, end of sexual harassment, amongst other current social issues.

Read more on TED Blogs

Ana Teresa Solá is a Creative Writing student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus and aspires to further her education with an M.S. in Journalism. Solá covers all things society and culture, and advocates for human equality.