Judo Fighter: Angel Dones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

You might have read this cutie’s name before around Confesiones UPR-RP 2.0. He’s known to be quite the ladies man. But to me he’s more than thatñ he’s a witty, sensible and charming fella who showed me his great skill of being an awesome karaoke buddy at La Beckett. Let’s not forget that he’s a fighter with a winning urge that runs through his veins.  We’re honored to have a 4 time Justas gold medal Champion as this week’s Campus Cutie.

Name: Angel L. Dones Silva

Age: 24

Major: Physical Education

Hometown: San Juan

Relationship Status: Single

Classification: Graduated (2013) but currently taking a class for a certification

1. HCUPR: Of all sports, why Judo?

A: It was chosen for me, not by me. My family wanted me to be involved with something. I hated it at first, until I realized how good I was, then the story changed. I owe everything to this sport.

2. HCUPR: Aside from Judo, what else do you do?

A: I work wherever there’s something that shows up. I also do exercise, I run from time to time. I also love watching tv series and going out with my friends.

3. HCUPR: Greatest achievement so far?

A: Graduating in the UPR  has been a great accomplishment. Also, I won the Bronze Medal in the Centroamericanos de Veracruz (2014). I was also sub-champ in the Panamericanos. I won 4 medals in Las Justas in Judo.  There I won MVP in 2010 and I was the captain in 2012.

4. HCUPR: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: I see myself giving classes. From Judo to Physical Education to children. What I truly love is teaching.

5. HCUPR: Ideal Date + Partner:

A: For the partner I would like someone who is educated, amiable, and sweet. I cant deal with someone who is cold hearted. Someone who has goals. A humble, smart gal. As for the date I would love to go to a classy restaurant, and then take a walk afterwards.

6. HCUPR: Something not many people know about you:

A: I’m actually a very lovey-dovey guy. Many people perceive me as an arrogant, but that’s a common misconception. I also love helping kids and the elderly.

7. HCUPR: If you could do anything without getting caught, what would it be?

A: I’m a guy that usually follows the rules. So I’d have to say, breaking some rules. Just the thought of doing something prohibited gives me quite the adrenaline rush.

8. HCUPR: Who is your role model?

A: I have two: My mother, who has showed me to care for people selflessly, I would love to learn that from her. And my trainer (who also happens to be Natzui’s father, another Campus Cutie!). He’s achieved many things in his life with this sport. He knows what discipline is, and the fact that he loves what he does so much makes him more admirable.

9. HCUPR: How’s it like being in the National Selection of Puerto Rico?

A: It feels great. You have to be the very best on your weight nationally to be here. You see, each category (male and female) is composed by 8 different weights. So just being there makes you very special. It feels like we’re an inspiration to younger generations.

10. HCUPR: Describe yourself in 3 words:

A: Optimistic, perseverant, and eager to learn.

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.