Style > Beauty

I Tried Magnetic Lashes and Here’s What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I first heard of Magnetic Lashes a couple of months back. At first, I didn’t know what this was about or how this could even work. Then I found out you get two sets of lashes per eye so that the magnets can connect. I thought: “This is brilliant! No more of that pesky glue! I can have long, luscious lashes without the mess.”

Now, for those of you who have never heard of this, there’s a reason: they’re not all they’re cracked up to be. Why? Stick around for my travesty, and you shall find out.

I didn’t actually buy the lashes, my aunt bought them and asked me to try them out, so that’s what I did. And I failed. Repeatedly. I tried the Ardell Professional Magnetic Lashes Double Demi Wispies. I’m gonna tell you right now that maybe these weren’t the best lashes to buy because they’re very long and my eyes are small. In any case, I attempted to put on the lashes no less than five times, alright?! Five. And still, they didn’t look seamless. I couldn’t get them to attach from my lashline.

I don’t pretend to be a makeup guru or even a decent makeup user, but I figured the lashes wouldn’t be THAT hard to figure out. So, I went to my trusted friend YouTube; I figured someone out there must have encountered this dilemma and could give me some tips. You’re probably thinking “Ah, so this is where the story gets turned around.” You’d be wrong. See, I watched these people try the magnetic lashes and at first, they had some trouble, too.  Then they figured it out. Typically, they’d use tweezers to hold the upper lashes to the lashline and use the other hand to bring in the lower lashes. However, my lashes had magnets all over the edge, so I couldn’t use my tweezers. So if you get a plastic applicator, I’m sure it could work. Something else I noticed is that I couldn’t cut them to better fit my small eyes because again, they had magnets all over the edge! And though I tried to curve them over my lash line, it just wouldn’t work.

Another tip they gave is to wear mascara before putting them on. This would provide some grip for the lashes and keep them from falling out.

In the end, this was probably not the best pair for me because they ended up looking very fake on me, nevermind that I couldn’t apply them properly. I was also going for a more casual look, something that I could wear on the regular and still look pretty natural. All in all, it’s a good concept. I wouldn’t say these lashes fail, I’d need to try more styles and practice applying them. Hope you guys have better luck than me!

BA in English Literature at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Avid reader of fiction: fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, and certain classics.  Can be found browsing Pinterest, spontaneously singing Disney songs, or finding new ways to procrastinate. Speaks fluent sass and movie quotes.