Hunger Games Fever Is Back And Ready To Take On The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

For those of you that haven’t had the pleasure of submerging in its iconic universe, The Hunger Games is a gripping dystopian tale, where 24 teenagers compete in a battle royal within an arena controlled by The Capitol—their powerful, controlling, and abusive government. The popular young adult book series, written by Suzanne Collins, has spawned a blockbuster movie franchise that has recently re-emerged as a streaming sensation on Netflix. And we are loving it!

Since its temporary arrival on Netflix, fans of the series have mobilized to the streaming platform to revisit the world of Panem. Of course, we couldn’t help ourselves and we took our excitement to the next level—you guessed it: by sharing themed content on social media! TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, you name it… From comedy skits, to fan edits, to cosplays, to detailed theories of key events from the story. 

New viewers have also been captivated by the story of Katniss Everdeen and her struggle against the Capitol. Slowly but surely, the Hunger Games’ fan community has been expanding for the better. Which, strategically, not only benefits the fandom but has flooded the internet with propaganda and excitement for the new upcoming Hunger Games prequel: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.

You heard that right! In November 2023, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes will hit the big screens, captivating its audience on the beginnings of Panem and President Snow’s journey to power. The confirmed cast and teaser trailer got us dancing like:

Retrieved from Pinterest

Personally, reliving these movies has sprung a deep interest in reading its books. Although, before its arrival on Netflix, I used to watch the movies ever so often. I appreciated them, but I didn’t dedicate myself as much as I did with its recent boom. I was introduced to the Hunger Games when I was very young. So, I couldn’t enjoy them as much as I do now. I can understand the thematic—and, let’s be honest, I am able to obsess and fangirl in a more mature way.

Its dystopian nature allows us to internalize the topics being exposed in the books and movies. Also, it allows us to have a deeper connection through the characters’ suffering and our need for closure (maybe involves a bit of masochistic hope too).

The Hunger Games has become a force to be reckoned with. Whether you read/watch it for entertainment or argumentative purposes, its narrative can connect with certain aspects of our lives. Most importantly, it can allow us to submerge into an imaginative world that although tragedy is at its center, hope is the key takeaway.

Hope is the key to change and new beginnings. Sometimes, we need to hear this and apply it in our day to day. Although things seem bad right now, new things are blooming! Just like Katniss’ father said: “As long as you can find yourself, you’ll never starve.”

Well, I don’t know about you, but you’ll see me headfirst in the theater line buying tickets for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. May the odds be ever in my favor!

Pennélope Alers López is the team's secretary and a writer at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Pennélope's favorite topics to write about range from entertainment to academics. She writes a bit of everything! Beyond Her Campus, Pennélope works as a Barista at Starbucks Escorial. She loves serving warm coffee and putting a smile on everyone’s faces. She is also a junior at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus, completing a Bachelor's degree in Special Education. In her free time, Pennélope enjoys doing arts and crafts and spending time with her dog, Lilo. She is also a rom-com aficionado—she has a list of over 100 romance movies and series that she has watched throughout the years.