This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We often think of travelling the world as an impossible or inaccessible activity, but visiting new places is actually easier than we think. Here are six ways to travel to our dream places while on a budget:

1.     Savings and budgeting

The first thing we need to get anywhere is money! That’s why having enough funds saved up will be our first step into making that trip. As long as you have enough to buy the plane ticket, you’re good! After purchasing your ticket, there’s no going back. On the other hand, having a ticket at hand serves as enough motivation for you to embark on your journey. Once you know where you’re going, you can plan the trip by looking at how much you will be spending on room accommodations, food, entertainment, etc. and make a budget out of it. Pro tip: always include a small allowance on your budget in case of an emergency, and work for the time leading up to the trip in order to achieve that amount of money saved.

2.     Plane tickets

Google flights will become your best friend to find cheap plane tickets. With the help of the search bar and other filters, you can find out which time is the cheapest to visit your dream spot. Once you find the perfect flights & price, go directly to the airline company to book the trip. This search engine provides the option to send price alerts directly to your emailーsaving the time to look it up constantlyー and letting you know ASAP when the prices drop. There are other online tools like Hopper or Kayak that notify you of good prices, but buying from them might bring problems later, especially if there’s a need to contact the airline beforehand to make any changes. Depending on the time of the trip, ticket prices tend to drop as time passes and the flight approaches, so booking a last-minute impromptu flight should never be discarded as an option. If planning a trip months in advance, you should study the prices and buy them without thinking twice when a good deal comes through.

3.     Accommodations

There are four important things to look for when searching for a place to stay: the lodging’s accessibility and how it accommodates to your budget, the closeness of your location to areas of interest, other customers’ good reviews and a comfy bed. Booking.com offers different hotels and price ranges, as well as the Airbnb app. Regardless of the site you use to reserve your accommodations, it’s important to be aware of how close/far it is from the airport, metro stations, restaurants or food stalls, and the places you wish to visit during your stay. Customer reviews can save a lot of headaches, so use them to your advantage when making your accommodation selections. If hotels or Airbnb-type lodgings are not within the reach of your budget, you can always consider other alternatives. A not so popular option are hostels; in which you typically share the kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom with other unknown travellers. Hostels are usually cheaper, offer a chance to meet new people and provide an entirely different vacation experience. The most important thing is to read the customer reviews and make a decision based on your evaluation.

4.     Moving around

From airplanes to buses, metros, and ferries, verifying the best way to move around once you get to your destination is also something important to remember. Depending on where you go and the distances you wish to travel, keeping track of your preferred transport method will be the best way to ensure happy travels. Sometimes a train or ferry ticket is cheaper than an airplane, but takes longer to get to the next place. This same phenomenon can happen with subways or taxis, so it’s always a good idea to check out the prices between local taxis and Uber drivers. The Hop-on Hop-off buses are pretty much everywhere; and, if there’s a need to visit a lot of places in a short amount of time, this is another great option to consider. Your decision, of course, will also depend on the experience you want to have! It’s not the same to pass the Golden Gate Bridge on a taxi than on a bike.

5.     Food

One of the ways to spend all your money without noticing is by eating. A good way to eat on a budget is by having breakfast at the place where you’re staying. Most of the hotels have breakfast options, although you may have to pay an extra fee to enjoy them. If you’re staying at an Airbnb or a Hostel with a kitchen, you may save a significant amount of money by cooking breakfast and dinner instead of buying food every single day of the trip.The best way to make the most of your vacation foods is to find a nearby store that sells kitchen essentials, including tools, appliances, fresh fruits and vegetables, and other edible ingredients you like to include in your everyday recipes! By preparing some meals at your vacation quarters, you are actually saving up money to use on occasional restaurant meals. 

6.     Experiences

The main reason to travel is to gain new experiences; and, along with this achievement, come all the places to visit. A lot of important spots like museums have free entry on special hours of the week, which helps you save money (although it can get very crowded). If you’re not lucky to visit on one of those days, most of these places offer student discounts. Many places, especially now due to the global COVID-19 restrictions, have opted to sell their tickets online. By using this payment method, you may even save money and get them faster than if you bought them in-personーor worse, not being able to enter the museum at all. If you wish to experience a different kind of vacation, you can research the free touristy and non-touristy places to visit. Another option is going all out and saving money for specific experiences. There’s an app called GetYourGuide where you can find really fun activities to do while on your trip.

Travelling is not as expensive as we would think it is as long as we have the right tools and save enough money. The best part? Leaving our comfort zone and trying out new things. That’s where the best memories come from.

Laleska is majoring in journalism at the UPR Rio Piedras Campus. Loves travelling, fashion, reading books and sleeping. You can always find her with a smile on her face!