Style > Decor

How to Spookify Your Room for this Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This is Halloween, this is Halloween! For many, the time of the spooks and chills starts once autumn arrives. It seems like the pumpkins, spices, and candy taste better during this season. Halloween is all about placing fun decorations in and out of the house. People enjoy decorating the yard, the living room, and even the bathroom. There’s a certain joy in arriving home and seeing all the decorations and candy around the house. However, if your family isn’t so fond of it, and you still love this time of the year and crave its bliss and spooky vibes, you can still get into the Halloween spirit by spookifying your bedroom.  Here are some tips and tricks to do so.

Colors

You certainly can’t change the colors of your walls for just a season, but you can definitely work with what you have. Nowadays, Halloween decorations come in different colors, even in pastels! You can harness the color palette in your room and spice it up with some matching Halloween décor. For example, if your walls are white, you can work with black and white decorations or even add the signature orange to add a spark of color.

Décor

Start with the centerpiece of the bedroom: the bed. You can get Halloween-themed bedding, or if you want it to be useful during the whole year, you can just get one with some signature Halloween colors, such as black, orange, purple, green, and burgundy.

You can add cushions, pillows, or plushies with Halloween designs such as witches, black cats, bats, or pumpkins. 

To bring your decoration game to the next level, add some Halloween motifs  or decorations with pumpkins, spiderwebs, plastic spiders, bats, skeletons, cauldrons, potions bottles, or witch hats. Make a Halloween paradise inside your room!

Lights

If you want to go a trendier route, you can get neon signs—which are very popular right now—and attach them to your walls. Fortunately, a lot of department stores are bringing these as of recently, and they look super cute. They come in many shapes and sizes: bat-shaped, pumpkin-shaped, ghost-shapedー you name it!

To make your room aesthetically pleasing, add some Halloween lights (think Christmas lights, but with Halloween colors, like purple or orange). You can also find them in shapes like bats, pumpkins, and ghosts. They don’t illuminate much, but they do make for great ornaments.

Candles

A decorative trend I’ve been seeing lately are floating candles. They’re very easy to make from scratch, if you can’t afford to buy them. Toilet paper rolls, fake candles, white paint, and hot glue should do the trick. They will give your room a paranormally charming look.

You can go the conventional way and light real candles around your room. Top them off with candle holders to give them a more gothic look if that’s  your cup of tea. If you like scented candles, you can get autumn scents such as pumpkin spice, apple, cinnamon, wood, brown sugar, or vanilla.

Tapestry and Posters

A room isn’t a room without some tapestry and posters. I bet many of us have at least  one of these items hanging from a wall. To set the spooky mood, you can include posters or tapestry wall hangings of Halloween fan favorites, such as Frankenstein, the Addams Family, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Ghostface, or anything Halloween-related that you like.

Themes

Everyone has a favorite Halloween movie, which is the perfect excuse to transform your room into your safe haven of your fave movie! For example, you can decorate all your room with Hocus Pocus items such as a tiny cauldron, potion bottles, plushies of the Sanderson sisters, a notebook decorated like The Book of Spells, and even a candle resembling the Black Candle. You can find The Nightmare Before Christmas items everywhere nowadays tooーthere are cushions, plushies, decorations, posters on most Hot Topics stores around. The best thing about The Nightmare Before Christmas is that it’s a theme you can use until Christmastime!

These are just some ideas to set the Halloween mood in your room. You can get creative, make handmade decorations, or even design your own theme. It’s all about the frights and the fun!

Astrid Carolina is a grad school student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She has a Bachelors Degree in Modern Languages and is currently doing her Masters in Translation. When she's not stressing out over doing her thesis, you can probably find her playing videogames or being crafty. Astrid is out there encouraging people to be themselves without fear!