This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Some call it the best four years of a person’s life, others call it just getting a bachelor’s degree. All in all, college is a very important time. It’s not only where you get to learn more about the things you love, it’s also where you get to meet people with different backgrounds, stories, and experiences. It’s when you’re officially considered an adult and you get to know yourself in a whole different way. Therefore, it’s important to get the best out of these years, because as we all know, they won’t last forever. Here are some tips to do just that. 

Take fun and exciting courses

College is a time to get to know yourself and find out what really interests you. So, take the opportunity to put those free electives into good use! Although many of us go into college with a clear idea of what we want to study and achieve in the future, it’s also very important to delve deeper into some hobbies we might already have or develop new ones. A good place to start with this idea is to explore your college’s course catalog. Trust me, you will be surprised with the amount of interesting courses you might find. 

Interact with classmates

Being able to meet people in college in the midst of remote learning has been a big challenge for the majority of students. Luckily, we have technology, and it only takes a little burst of courage to start a conversation with someone. It could be about the syllabus, class notes, due datesー literally anything.You never know, you might just make a new friend. 

Check your college’s website and social media platforms

Speaking about technology, go to your college’s website! This is a good way to stay informed about the different resources that your college has at your disposal. There might be a link to the digital library, information on professors, courses, internships, undergraduate programs, and a lot more.Also, if your college has social media platforms, follow them. Let’s be honest, we all scroll through our phones right before we go to bed, so having your college’s profile on your feed will help you stay updated on the latest news and events.

Go to any online event or seminar

Given that most students can’t make it to campus, college events and seminars that were once held in-person are now offered through digital platforms like Google Meets and Zoom. These are great opportunities to 

learn about different topics that might interest you. A good way to know if there are any events or seminars coming up is to follow the previous step!

Join Clubs! 

Although clubs are generally meant to meet on campus and do activities there, many of them have resorted to adapting their activities to an online environment. So yes, a lot of clubs are still receiving new members, even with our current situation. Being part of a student organization is a fun way to meet new people while staying in touch with what you are passionate about. There are clubs for writing, environmental topics, debate, chess, etc. You could even make your own! 

Walk around campus

If you get the chance to go to campus, take a walk! You’ll not only get your steps in, but you’ll have a better idea of where everything is located. Your classes, the library, the dining hall, the student center, etc. Also, you might find your favorite study spot.

Go to events and tournaments!

If your college has an event coming up, that’s a great opportunity to get in tune with the college spirit and to, yet again, meet new people. Also, you’ll be able to enjoy a variety of things like live concerts, festivals, sport tournaments, etc. It’ll be a way to balance all the studying with a bit of fun. 

Get to know your professors and network with them. 

Although it is important to meet people and make friends, it is even more important to meet your professors. To be honest, you might not be able to get in touch with all of them, but try to focus on getting to know professors from classes that deal with your major or that you know could possibly become your mentors in the future. This is also important for when you’re applying to internships or programs and you need letters of recommendation!

So go out there and explore campus (safely) or turn on that laptop and start searching the web; but most importantly, enjoy college to the fullest! 

Ana Emmanuelli is the current Co-Chapter Leader and Vice President at Her Campus UPR. Apart from assisting in overseeing the work of each team – be it the Editing Team, Writing Team, and/or Social Media Team- she also carries out administrative duties such as sending weekly notices to members, keeping track of chapter level requirements, and communicating with Her Campus Nationals. Lastly, she has been an active contributor to the magazine for three consecutive years and previously held the role of Secretary. Even though she is very much passionate about writing, she is now completing her fourth year as an undergrad majoring in Biology at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, which highlights her interest in the topics of science and health within her articles. Apart from her role in Her Campus, she is also Vice President of the internationally acclaimed MEDLIFE organization in her university’s chapter, where she has been able to build the skills she now uses in her Chapter Leader role at Her Campus UPR. In her free time, she loves reading classical literature and watching mind-bending movies with complex plots. She also loves to come up with new sketches and ways to create any type of art.