This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The Halloween season is that spine-chilling time of the year when fear takes center stage, and what better way to embrace the eerie ambiance than immersing yourself in some of the most bone-chilling horror movie franchises? If you’re a fan of gore, blood, and the thrill of a good scare, these franchises are sure to make your toes curl and your heart race.

*Disclaimer: These movie franchises contain mature content and are not suitable for all audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.*

1) The Conjuring Universe: A Love Affair with the Supernatural

Image Source

The Conjuring Universe holds a special place in my horror-loving heart. The sheer mastery with which it delves into the supernatural is both exhilarating and terrifying. The series follows the real-life cases of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, introducing us to malevolent entities that send shivers down our spines. To experience the spine-tingling plot twists and timeline switcheroos as originally intended, the suggested order is as follows:

1. The Nun (2018)

2. Annabelle: Creation (2017)

3. The Nun 2 (2023)

4. Annabelle (2014)

5. The Conjuring (2013)

6. Annabelle Comes Home (2019)

7. The Curse of La Llorona (2019)

8. The Conjuring 2 (2016)

9. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)

For those who appreciate experiencing a franchise in release order, here’s the original release sequence:

1. The Conjuring (2013)

2. Annabelle (2014)

3. The Conjuring 2 (2016)

4. Annabelle: Creation (2017)

5. The Nun (2018)

6. The Curse of La Llorona (2019)

7. Annabelle Comes Home (2019)

8. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)

2) The Saw Franchise: A Test of Fortitude

FmqmHOPK79UjNH1t3f4bpnMmu73qg38bw9PVETB02bUEx8DejV3QIs9WqcRJPk5GLuF jiNjN1BfXk bHKpPT6AqriocxNP jB IGaEn7MsyLosrlUZvKNEYapytZOO8RFgyMY7MGGHGFS6gsstc5Q

Image Source 

The Saw franchise is truly a testament to my fascination with horror that pushes the boundaries of what I can stomach. The intricate traps, the twisted moral dilemmas, and the relentless gore are enough to make your stomach churn. The original chronological sequence of the Saw franchise is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat:

1. Saw (2004)

2. Saw II (2005)

3. Saw III (2006)

4. Saw IV (2007)

5. Saw V (2008)

6. Saw VI (2009)

7. Saw: The Final Chapter (or Saw 7 3D) (2010)

8. Jigsaw (2017)

9. Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021)

10. Saw X (2023)

3) The Human Centipede: A Shocking Descent into Horror

VPicynyoq6 BqUUrp9W7jibzZYj7uNc BSWUCpv4aoP ekyxs

Image Source 

The Human Centipede– a franchise that shocked me to the core. The grotesque and macabre experiments conducted in this series take body horror to a level that made me want to turn away in disgust. Yet, the morbid fascination with how far human depravity can go kept me glued to the screen. It’s a rare glimpse into the twisted psyche of a demented surgeon and a plunge into the depths of horror that will leave you horrified and strangely captivated. Experience this horrific trilogy in the following order:

1. The Human Centipede (First Sequence) (2009)

2. The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) (2011)

3. The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence) (2015)

4) Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Nightmare Unveiled

Image Source 

Enter the grim and gruesome world of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Leatherface, with his chilling mask and revving chainsaw, is etched into horror iconography. The series, set in the desolate backwoods of Texas, is an exploration of sheer madness, cannibalism, and the fight for survival. For those who dare to venture, experience the horror in chronological order:

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)

3. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)

4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1995)

5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)

7. Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)

8. Leatherface (2017)

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

5) Friday the 13th: Unmasking a Killer

MXmXqKh9Na2DrGPp7mueigOzhh8smCfiOokLyhOrS8Bw5VNATYGQHqOvqhUgUua4r7T05Shyt4X4bo1

Image Source 

Jason Voorhees, the relentless, hockey mask-wearing killer of Friday the 13th, has haunted our dreams for generations. Camp Crystal Lake becomes a cauldron of fear and dread as each installment escalates the body count. It’s a saga of suspense and terror, a cat-and-mouse game where the odds seem insurmountable. 

Experience the Friday the 13th saga in theorder it was released:

1. Friday the 13th (1980)
  2. Friday the 13th Part II (1981)
  3. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)
  4. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
  5. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985)
  6. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
  7. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
  8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
  9. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
  10. Jason X (2002)
  11. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
  12. Friday the 13th (2009)

As the nights grow longer and the air turns colder this Halloween season, immerse yourself in these horror movie franchises. Let the fear wash over you, the adrenaline course through your veins, and the nightmares linger. Grab your favorite blanket, dim the lights, and let the screams begin. Happy Haunting!

Hi! My name is Alanis Hilario, but I prefer to go my Lani. I’m a fun loving and curious Aquarius who loves the outdoors and spending time with my loved ones. I am currently coursing my bachelor’s degree in the university of Puerto Rico, rio piedras campus, majoring in interdisciplinary studies of natural sciences with the dream of some day becoming a pediatric doctor in the army. I love to write, paint and listen to music. My favorite artist being Joji and pierce the veil. I’m a super shy person and fun fact is I’ve been writing stories ever since I was a little kid ! Everything aside, I’m so excited to get to know this community and grow as a writer!