This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

History helps us understand a lot of things, like politics, culture, war, art, and many more. History books mainly revolve around the men who took charge and paved the path that these events would take. Don’t get me wrong, history books do mention women that marked history. There’s Pocahontas, Queen Elizabeth, and Harriet Tubman, but there are plenty of other women who helped their countries that aren’t mentioned enough in classrooms. Who are these women and how have these women impacted our history? Let’s find out together.

Lola Rodríguez de Tió

Lola Rodríguez de Tió was a Puerto Rican poet and political activist who fought for women’s rights, the abolition of slavery, and the independence of Puerto Rico from colonial rule. She became the first female poet to have widespread acclaim and reputation through all of Latin America thanks to works, like Mis Cantares published in 1876 and Mi libro de Cuba published in 1893. In 1868, she wrote the original lyrics for the danza “La Borinqueña” which was inspired by Emeterio Betances’ quest for independence. That same year during the Grito de Lares, the Puerto Rican people started singing the anthem:

“¡Despierta, borinqueño que han dado la señal! ¡Despierta de ese sueño que es hora de luchar! A ese llamar patriótico ¿no arde tu corazón? ¡Ven! Nos será simpático el ruido del cañón. Mira, ya el cubano libre será; le dará el machete su libertad… le dará el machete su libertad. Ya el tambor guerrero dice en su son, que es la manigua el sitio, el sitio de la reunión, de la reunión… de la reunión.” […]

This illustrious woman helped boost the morale for the Puerto Ricans during the Grito de Lares and the hardships of colonial oppression. Her lyrics are still heard around the old streets of Puerto Rico, sparking the hearts with independence movements, and trying to fulfill the quest of our writer.

Lolita Lebrón

A post shared by LAYZOR GHUNNZZ / Artist ?? (@layzor) on

Lolita Lebrón was a Puerto Rican nationalist. She joined the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party in 1941, where she advocated feminist ideas and equality for the people of Puerto Rico. In 1954, she became the leader of the same party. Later that year, she participated in what is now known as the United States Capitol shooting incident in which she and three other Puerto Rican nationalists shot 30 rounds from semi-automatic pistols from the Ladies’ Gallery of the House of Representatives chamber in the United States Capitol. This was done to highlight their desire for Puerto Rican independence from the United States of America rule. This was done after the approval of the Constitution of Commonwealth. She was arrested, along with other nationalists, and spent 25 years in prison until 1971, when President Carter pardoned the group. They returned to Puerto Rico and Lebrón continued to fight for the independence of the Island by participating in pro-independence activities.

Ana Roqué de Duprey

A post shared by Renzo (@renzzo31) on

Ana Roqué de Duprey was a Puerto Rican scientist, writer, educator, and suffragette leader. She founded the Liga Feminista Puertorriqueña in 1917, becoming the founder and president of a feminist organization in Puerto Rico. She also founded newspapers dedicated to talking about progress and women politics like “La Mujer” in 1893, “Album Puertorriqueño” in 1918, “Heraldo de la Mujer” in 1920, and others. In 1932, the University of Puerto Rico awarded her the title of Doctorate in Letters Honoris Causa. She published some texts and books under the pseudonyms Aguenora and Flora del Valle. She published short novels like Sara, la obrera y otros cuentos in 1895 and Luz y Sombra in 1903. Duprey also worked as a teacher for public schools. On the scientist side, she published a botany book called Botánica Antillana in which she investigated the plants that grew in Puerto Rico. She’s also one of the founders of the College of Mayagüez and the University of San Juan.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas

An American journalist, author and conservationist that stopped the destruction of the Everglades in Florida. In 1947, she wrote a book called Everglades: River of Grass with the purpose of beautifying the swamp. In the 1960s, the Everglades were in danger of being drained to become terrain for real estate. Douglas created an organization called Friends of the Everglades in 1969 that focused on the protection of the Everglades. She received some backlash from many industries in her quest to conserve wildlife. After many years advocating for the protection of the Everglades, the commissioners of Dade County decided not to drain it. Douglas spent her last 29 years protecting other ecosystems in South Florida. She fought for the well being of a place that other people weren’t interested in. We need that spark to fight for what we care about here in Puerto Rico because we are the future of this country and wildlife must be preserved.

Victoria Espinosa

A post shared by ABIMAEL ACOSTA (@abimaelacosta) on

A prominent Puerto Rican theater director, Victoria Espinosa premiered her adaptation of the play “El Público” by Federico García Lorca in Puerto Rico on February 15, 1978. She was in charge of the group ​La Comediata Universitaria from 1949 to 1964. She directed various plays by great playwrights like Moliére, Shakespeare, García Lorca, and Max Aub. She also founded the theater workshop “Teatro Theatrón” where local great actors trained for plays and television show she directed at least 120 plays since 1949 and she was awarded the “Lifetime Achievement Award” later in 1997 for dedicating her life’s work to the theater. In Santurce, there’s a theater named after her and the play “La Piedra Oscura” by Dean Zayas was dedicated to her. She fomented a love and appreciation for the arts in Puerto Rico and contributed to its theatrical culture through her many works.

Despite what history books may say, women have pulled the same weight in contributing to culture and politics that men have. Their stories are often omitted and left in the shadows, so it’s our job to help resurface their history and their importance. Research, learn and spread the word about these women. They are jewels that the world still doesn’t appreciate enough. Recognize their value and be grateful that thanks to them, women today can now vote, speak up, and have more freedom. But that doesn’t mean that the journey is over. We still have a long road ahead of us if we want to achieve true equality. You might be the next Tió, Bracetti, Espinosa, Douglas in the history of your country.

A stressful little bookworm who loves to write poetry and short stories while listening to classical music.