This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The late and great Angela Lansbury has sadly passed away. Her impressive acting career ranges from starring in childhood favorites such as Beauty and the BeastAnastasia, and Nanny McPhee, to being cast on Broadway big hits like Sweeney ToddMame, and Gypsy, to name a few. Suffice it to say that she has indisputably left a respected and adored legacy that has been cemented in the history of film. Since we’re in the still in the autumn season, a tv show that’s great for this cozy season is Murder She Wrote. Let’s explore why this series is such a wonderful addition to your seasonal watchlist.

Created by Peter S. Fisher, Richard Levinson, and William Link, Murder She Wrote was an hour-long mystery show that aired on CBS from 1984-1996. Starring Angela Lansbury playing the titular role of Jessica Fletcher: a widow living in Cabot Cove, Maine, who became a bestselling author after her husband passed. Jessica Fletcher is a small-town writer who’s also great at solving murders in her off-time. The show featured a slew of famous guest stars, from Breaking Bad’s Bryant Cranston to the golden girl Rue McClanahan. It became a landmark of popular fiction about murder mysteries. But what makes this show great for the fall season?

Starting with the theme song created by John Addison, the viewer is informed that they shall see a cozy, unique world. We see Jessica doing her daily routine from writing her stories on a typewriter, bicycling in her coastal town, fishing, and walking in nature. As the intro continues, we see how the murders are incorporated in the show, and how Jessica investigates and solves them. Wherever Jessica went, she’d stumble upon a murder, and it almost always involved her family and friends. This stark contrast between safety and familiarity with the unexpected and mysterious is perfect for a season full of transitions: trees slowly changing color, a shift into wearing warmer clothing, and celebrating holidays that thrive in the chilling and mystifying. Murder She Wrote is a detective show where the investigator is a regular citizen, which allows the audience to feel part of the narrative. There’s no better time to watch a mystery than in the season when one can expect cooler temperatures, darkening nights, and cozy environments. 

Another factor that attributes this show to the fall season is its wardrobe choices. Costume designer, Eilish Zebrasky, has mentioned on Vanity Fair, “that she and the rest of the crew were careful to fit Lansbury in a fashion that reflected her age, where she could be herself and didn’t have to prove anything.” Meanwhile, Jennifer Frazee, who was a freelance assistant wardrobe stylist for the show, explained how “Lansbury sat down with the team for each shoot to decide what would be best for her and her character.” As a result, Jessica’s fashion choices often evoke a classic, tasteful, Old Hollywood style. We see her dressed in trench coats, long skirts, and dark colors that were specific to each episode. These outfits are the perfect inspiration for fall, because of their accessibility and timeless factor. 

Mostly, what draws the audience to this show is Jessica Fletcher herself with her charisma, charm, cleverness, and self-determination. She’s a woman who demands the world to see, even in her twilight years. It’s sometimes-silly nature makes the viewer feel secure that the mystery will be solved at the end. Watching this wholesome, lovable character, who was also observant, analytical, and calm in dire situations is inspiring and admirable to see. 

One notable episode is episode 14, season 7 called “Who Killed J.B. Fletcher,” where an impersonator of Mrs. Fletcher dies and the real Jessica heads to a small Texas town to solve the crime. Another noteworthy is episode 18, season 1 named “Murder Takes the Bus,” where Jessica and other bus passengers take refuge during a storm and a murderer hides among them. Still, every episode is a gem that any audience member can enjoy. This show will inspire you to move to a small coastal town, wear lots of sweaters, and solve intriguing mysteries, all while appreciating your internet sleuthing skills.

Kayla M Altagracia Jimenez is a book lover who enjoys writing stories, painting, bullet journaling, listening to music, watching shows and movies. An English Literature student at the UPR Rio Piedras Campus, she loves wandering on new adventures. She dreams of becoming a renowned writer and making a meaningful difference in the world. Admires writers like R. L. Stine, Toni Morrison, and John Green.