Style

Give Your Old Clothes A Fresh Start, Try Electroshock!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As we embrace the dawn of 2024, it’s time for fresh beginnings and renewed habits. Clearing out those unworn clothes is the first step toward creating space for a revitalized lifestyle. After all, an organized environment fosters a clear mind, and what could be more rewarding than achieving it sustainably? If you’re unsure on how to handle last season’s wardrobe, fear not, for you’ve stumbled upon the perfect guide!

Electroshock stands as a haven for vintage treasures and antiques, with charming locations nestled in both Río Piedras and Calle Loíza, in San Juan. Both locations offer a variety of items including clothing, jewelry, vinyl records, and creations from Puerto Rican artists. Their mantra? They not only buy and sell but also trade! 

Before delving into the exciting world of transactions, allow me to offer some invaluable tips for the clothing selection process for when you consider donating:

1. Start by organizing your small drawers, which could hold various items such as socks, underwear, bathing suits, gloves, hats, or scarves. Although underwear might not be appropriate for donation, items like socks, gloves, and hats are often accepted. Then, gradually move on to other drawers or storage spaces for clothing, beginning with these smaller items and advancing from there. Taking small steps forward is essential!

2. As you delve into the process, let go of anything that no longer sparks joy. Doubt may creep in, tempting you to hold onto items you haven’t worn in years, but don’t be swayed by your own mental tricks.

Still unsure of what to donate? Consider the following:

a. How long has it been since I last wore this piece? 

• If it’s been over a year, it’s time to pass it on.

b. Did I even remember owning this item?

• If it took you by surprise, it’s probably time to bid it farewell.

c. Is it a bold statement piece or easily mixable? 

• If it’s too niche or flashy and unlikely to see the light of day unless a specific trend resurfaces, consider donating it.

d. Will I genuinely miss this piece? 

• If not, it’s time to part ways. Donate it with a clear conscience.

e. Do I already have something similar? 

• If your closet is overflowing with similar items, choose to keep the ones you truly love.

f. Would I buy this piece if I were shopping right now? 

• If not, it’s better off finding a new home with someone who will appreciate it more.

3. If the clothes don’t meet quality standards in terms of cleanliness, dryness, and absence of stains, holes, or rips, it’s best to hold off on donating them.

4. Once you’ve got all your chosen clothes packed up, toss them in a bag, and you’re ready to roll to Electroshock! Nice job!

A little about the selection process:

When you arrive at Electroshock, you’ll show your clothes to an employee. They’ll inspect and carefully analyze them before deciding which pieces to accept. They may not choose every item, but likely the majority of them.

After that, the value of all selected pieces will be estimated, and you’ll be provided with a store credit card that you can use at both of the two locations, either the one in Río Piedras and the one on Calle Loíza. You can use the credit all at once or gradually over time.

Just because clothing is second-hand doesn’t equate to it being of inferior quality or lacking in value. In fact, these pieces have already been cherished once before. Ensuring that well-made garments with plenty of life ahead of them don’t end up discarded is as simple as passing them on to someone who will appreciate them. Your trash could very well be another person’s treasure, and that’s truly something special to consider. Buying second-hand gives clothing a new lease on life, reducing the need for new textile production and minimizing water usage, greenhouse gas emissions, and other harmful environmental effects. I shop slow fashion, it’s time for you to do the same! 

Time Schedule and Addresses:

Río Piedras

• Monday to Saturday: 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Sunday: Closed
    Location Map

Calle Loíza

• Sunday: 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
    Location Map
Milyarielix Dávila Vélez is a writer for Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. Simultaneously, she is completing her bachelor's degree in journalism and public relations at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus. She likes to write and share about her experiences and knowledge so that readers learn new things and maybe even identify with some of her stories! Beyond Her Campus, Milyarielix works in customer service. She loves talking to everyone and exchanging ideas which helps her to be more creative and analytical. In addition, she is part of The National Association of Hispanic Journalists and the Association of University Publicists and Public Relations. Some of Milyarielix's hobbies are participating in workshops that encourage professional and personal growth. She also enjoys activities like beach cleaning, bird watching, road trips, and going thrifting to find hidden gems. She is a lover of animals and dreams of becoming a rescuer one day, meanwhile, she helps non-profit organizations that are dedicated to saving the lives of abandoned animals. She is passionate about fashion and hanging out with her friends, but most of all she will make sure to always have a good time no matter what!