Life > Experiences

5 Ways To Celebrate The Holidays With Friends

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Spending the holidays with your friends has become the new and exciting way to celebrate the holidays as a whole. Take Thanksgiving; what once was a day in which families gathered to have their Thanksgiving dinner, remember family anecdotes, and share with family members, has evolved in different ways. That is why today, many people have made the decision to take advantage of the space provided on this day to celebrate and thank those people who are part of our family by choice, a celebration that is now commonly known as friendsgiving. As Ashley Fetters mentions in her article, this new popular alternative continues to increase over the years.

And Christmas doesn’t stay behind! For this reason, spending these special dates with friends is very important for some people. The most interesting thing is that as the year passes, more friends decide to use this week to be grateful and make a special day with those that are important in their life. 

From college students who live far from home, to family members who don’t feel comfortable with those who they share blood with, the reality is that many times, due to distance or the different types of relationships that can exist between families, more than one person ends up spending a “family” day alone. So if you feel represented by any of these, here you will find five different fun and memorable activities you can do to enjoy the holidays with the family that life puts on your path.

1. Put up decorations

gg3oQ6MVI2wvBFTMkAIgdbcDTtCriaRns2FG7HDcSJlqRtm4r4LsKRfslxka8kagIUUG9SVTMnSrlFqmg9sZTrMcVK 8s9HWg5JiDzjysLyjGut5kU4ZGNlR6eiEnTN80M1dBYI3v arRjPqS46Nfbk

Recovered from Pinterest

The first and most important thing to take into account is the decoration. Starting from the simplest things, such as placing different balloons, artificial leaves,  and candles in your space to create that cozy autumn atmosphere or placing poinsettias and fairy lights  around to get into that Christmas spirit. To the most elaborate and intricate of decorations, such as making a wall with images of the moments that everyone enjoyed the most during the year along with a frame. Another way to take creativity to another level could be to use brown paper as a tablecloth and write the name of the guests on it in their corresponding place.         

In any case, if you want to discover other alternatives to decorate your home, Maria Cotti has an article in which she shares the best 12 decoration options from last year, in her case, for Friendsgiving.

2.  Have a distraction-free dinner

V2ALh25vfRIcmvjaH0ZLjQ7R0SvJw 32dYanBtY MeEde4r KYabM0sw5Z ExGhD9v5j6ToJn1k7WsmS23wmqgc8hg3PCcpc69TJK Zny3dUuOB

Recovered from Pinterest

It is no secret to anyone that technology today has taken center stage in many important moments. From weddings where everyone has their phone focused on the bride and groom, to birthdays where the guests are focused on their phones. So, in order to enjoy a dinner with good and pleasant company, it will be necessary to put aside the phones from the minute you enter the home where the dinner will be taking place.

Use this time to have real conversations without the discomfort that’s caused when someone is more attentive to a screen than to the conversation that is taking place. There will be time to use it later, always remember that it is important to disconnect to reconnect with others.

3. Differents Party Games

S1915WdkK4IVjOBobTQDXnijHN0N5R12trYaHaaTaAwu76T2vNmx6t6LBiXvXvEyxCiq4Yry1e3DRJ L5UOEeiayJNpM9OBe1nusvPURI2aAI6HK6 4NLwk4YfdzJLo i O xKbZ7Fru 3pWw1ikyzo

Recovered from Pinterest

What would a small party to celebrate friendship be, without games to continue creating moments together? Different games such as “Never have I ever”, “Finish the song lyric” and even a personalized “Jenga” with different questions or creating a “Friends Trivia” to see who knows each member of the group the best, are some of the most fun and entertaining activities to spend a good afternoon of laughter. Without leaving aside the typical card games like “Memory” or “Who is Who?” so as not to lose traditions.

4. Hallmark Movies

XQBacoOkUtMU7IjG

Recovered from Pinterest

Another activity that will never go out of style is sharing while watching a movie. The fall season is the predecessor of Christmas, so many of us enjoy watching a good movie to get into the mood and begin to prepare for what is coming next month. So don’t be self-conscious and enjoy that movie that you love to see so much as you continue having pleasant moments with your friends amidst the snacks, games, and any other things that you have prepared for this occasion.

5. Write letters for those who are not able to be there 

dMbq2pVAexLYZflfzNK1lcoFaE6nH7A4FuK3XPRy9xxJpKz5 WTYK1dq5r2OugjpwL bsWa6Rf63eOsvumhifskJlV9vIdqENVB1Qq9ZmYf56aIG7iUi6Rh gc6bFMbUFzrfIHUK2E SBeNHhrYZMg

Recovered from Pinterest

The last activity with which you could give that special touch and close with a flourish an incredible evening surrounded by good company, could be writing a letter to those who are no longer here. Whether because they were not able to arrive or they left our world, it is always important to dedicate a few minutes of our time to them. Especially on days like this in which many can feel alone even if they don’t seem to like it or want to talk about it.

So, do not hesitate to write that simple but very meaningful letter, expressing to that person how valuable they are to you and how they have impacted your life. Sometimes we take this for granted until we reflect on it and realize we should do it more often.

Spending time with friends during the holidays can be as special a day as any other if you spend it surrounded by the people you care about. These moments of sharing are always necessary to remember that we are not alone, that we are surrounded by people who care about us the same way we care about them. Being grateful to those who help us stay strong every day is one of the best feelings you can experience. Don’t miss your opportunity to do it. 

Jettif M. Verdejo Rodríguez is a writer at Her Campus at the University of Puerto Rico at the Río Piedras chapter. She oversees the life, career, entertainment, book reviews that include many genres like mystery, romance, and fiction. Beyond Her Campus, Jettif works as a Youth Group Facilitator in the Boys and Girls Club in her community. Currently, she is an undergraduate student majoring in English Education for Second Language Learners (ESL) in the elementary level. In her free time, Jettif enjoys listening to music, reading books and make creative writing. She loves everything related to Star Wars, Marvel and romantic tv shows.