Fifty Shades Freed. The Film You Should Avoid for Date Night Unless You Want a Life Lesson or You’re Drunk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The Fifty Shades trilogy is perhaps one of the most controversial film trilogies to be released in this decade. They are adapted from an equally controversial book trilogy. Because it’s full of controversy, naturally, it became very popular.

When the first adaptation premiered on the big screen on Valentine’s Day 2015, theatres flooded with book fans, sex enthusiasts and many more. Then there were those like me who waited until it was available online to watch it. I do not think there is much use in saying that it was a terrible movie. The second film adaptation Fifty Shades Darker premiered on Valentine’s Day 2017 and was terrible too.

Now in the year 2018, the trilogy has finally concluded. Fifty Shades Freed, premiered on February 8th, 2018 because Black Panther reserved the Valentine’s Day weekend (no complaints there). I did not expect to see this film in the theatre but I did. It’s what happens when a class gets canceled and your friend has a car. The only consolation I can bring to the table is that it wasn’t as disgusting as the first film.

There are many, many, many problems with this film/book series. The first and main one is the toxic relationship between the main characters Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele. It is wrong on so many levels. First, Christian Grey is a horrible guy. I don’t care how hot he is or how much money he has; he’s not a good guy. He is obsessive, controlling and views women as property and sex objects. He doesn’t let Anastasia have a life and thinks everything revolves around him. It is completely unhealthy and the books and films romanticize it as if it were what a normal and healthy relationship should be like. Anastasia is also a very weak character because she never stands up for herself and only feels valued when a man notices her. She doesn’t seem to realize that you don’t need a man to be a strong woman. Ugh. To think that they get married and have two kids. Good luck on the divorce settlement Oh, who am I kidding? That guy is never going to let her go.

It’s not an ideal movie for date night and much less Valentine’s Day. It’s bound to make people uncomfortable and much more if you are in a relationship. However, you can watch the movie and laugh at the absurdity of it togetherlike I did with my friends. However,  I still don’t recommend it for Valentine’s Day (or any other day) you’re better off watching About Time, Stuck In Love, Waitress or any other romantic comedy. You’ll have a much better time.

(Yeah, no, I’m good)

In conclusion, Fifty Shades of Grey is disgusting and completely irrelevant to society. It is also a bad representation of the BDSM lifestyle and doesn’t treat mental health seriously. The only good thing about the relationship is the money, and it is obvious that the actors didn’t enjoy making the films after all. To them, it was just another paycheck. What greatly represents my feelings about the ending of this trilogy is summed up in this video. Feel free to check it out and good riddance, Fifty Shades. It was NOT a pleasure.

(The Red Room, where nightmares happen)

Picture Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Gabriela is currently an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico. When she isn't reading fantasy books, she can be found writing them. She is a Vegetarian Hufflepuff that loves zombie fiction, an irony in itself. An aspiring filmmaker, she one day dreams of winning an Oscar for her films.