Wellness

Everything You Need To Have For a Relaxing Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Since it’s nearing the end of the semester we’re all neck deep in responsibilities and deadlines, this doesn’t mean that you can’t plan for a relaxing night in. Relaxing doesn’t necessarily mean you’re neglecting your studies, so while writing those dreaded essays and cramming for that killer exam you can pamper yourself. Everyone pampers themself  differently, be it eating that snack you’ve been saving for later or having a skin care day to rejuvenate your skin from the week’s stress. I’m here to show you different things you need for a relaxing night.

1. Face

In the era of skin care routine, this choice can seem cliche! But  who doesn’t love a good skin care day? To achieve the ultimate power of a skin care routine, start by cleansing your face. You can use DIY facial cleansers or you can buy some. My favorite cleanser is . After cleansing, grab a toner like witch hazel!

Once your face is clean make sure to put eye cream on. Yes, eye cream. This is an important step as it helps with dark circles, and protection. After eye cream, apply treatments to your face. It wouldn’t really feel as a skin care day if you weren’t to use a face mask so here is where the famed face mask would go! My favorite sheet mask is any mask from The Creme Shop. My favorite eye cream is. Ideally, you would be adding facial serums and then a moisturizer or whatever face cream you might be using., Finally, after pampering your skin make sure to spread moisturizer over your face to seal everything in.

2. Ambience

I don’t know about you guys, but I enjoy a good mood setter. I need a “mood” or “vibe” to study or to relax setting the mood pumps me up for the task ahead (even if the task you’re looking forward to relax on your bed with netflix). I’m always making playlist for my different moods and task, but if you don’t want to enter the arduous task of searching for music that go well together and you enjoy there’s always playlist for you to choose from. My favourite playlist for relaxing are this “Lord of The Rings (Calm Ambient Mix by Syneptic) | Episode I”, and this “Black Hill & Silent Island – Tales of the night forest [Full Album]”.Though these ones are more of my more calm playlist they’re perfect for focusing on the task and making you relax.

3. Cravings

Cravings: everyone has them. What better way to enjoy them than when you’re relaxing. There are quite a different cravings for everyone, some people prefer to buy them while other enjoy making them. A few made ready snacks that I enjoy are chocolate, cookies, yogurt, even vegetable with some hummus. Now I also find enjoyment and relaxation in making my own snacks and as such here is a list of snacks that can be made in a few minutes. Here’s another recipe list from snacks you can have at home, but also be able to eat it later during the day. I find snacking the most important part of a relaxing night in, it just doesn’t feel like I’m having a relaxing night in.

4. Something to Do

It wouldn’t really be a relaxing night in without giving you guys a few suggestions about what to do. The obvious choice is to binge watch those netflix episodes you have been putting aside for studying, but I’m going to give you a few things you can do while watching those episodes. Paint your nails. We all love to have freshly painted nails as to be able to rock those sandals, so why not take a few minutes to paint them in a cute color. Another thing you can do for a night in is read the books or comics you have put off in favor of your studies, this night is the perfect moment to catch up on all of your readings.  One of my favorite things to do is paint, so why not paint? I find it relaxing, and even if you don’t know what you’re doing painting can be fun. Grab a notebook, something to paint with, and get creative.

With finals approaching us it’s important to take a night to relax away from your studies as not to burn out. This night will help you put everything into perspective with a fresh look into all of your collegiate struggles. Taking a night to relax will ensure that you’re not overworking yourself to the point of exhaustion and it will ensure motivation to work through this final week of responsibilities before summer vacations can start. I always make sure to not overwork myself and have time to myself as an exhausted brain isn’t helping anyone, let alone saving the semester. I hope this suggestions help plan a relaxing night for yourself.

Future cat lady that majors in Linguistics and Communication at the UPR, Rio Piedra's campus. Currently coursing my third year with hopes of continuing towards a master degree in Computational Linguistics.