This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always been made fun of for my hair. I was told that my hair was frizzy, that it wasn’t pretty, that you couldn’t even run a brush through it… and  honestly, I believed all of these comments. My hair was in this constant state between not being straight and not being curly. It just was whatever it wanted to be at the moment, but it never looked “pretty”. Because of this, I felt like I needed to make it pretty no matter what, and caused heat damage to it by constantly straightening it. That is, until I learnt that my hair wasn’t frizzy at all; I just didn’t know how to take proper care of it. I was exhausted from the heat damage and how unhealthy my hair felt. That’s when I decided to embrace my natural hair and learn how to take care of it once and for all. Here are some of the key takeaways from my curly-hair-loving journey.

It’s a process

Once you realize that your hair is curly and that you want to embrace it, you are going to find that it’s a whole process to get it to a healthy place. If you’re like me, and have caused years of heat damage to your hair, you’re not going to get beautiful curls from the moment you start. It took me almost two whole years to get it to where it is right now. Not only did I have to learn what worked best for my hair, but I also had to endure at least a year of my hair looking weird because yes, you need to stop straightening it altogether for it to heal. During that time, I hated how my hair looked and I actually felt ugly. However, the process was totally worth it because I’m more in love with my hair than I’ve ever been.

Not everyone’s hair is the same

Having curly hair is not just about washing your hair, and being done with it. It’s all about trial and error. You’ll find that some products work better than others and that you’ll prefer some processes more. Every time I get asked about which products I use, I rave about Shea Moisture, and although I love them, you might prefer othersーbut do try Shea Moisture if you can, though. When browsing through hair products, always look at the ingredients. You want to avoid chemical substances like silicone and alcohol. Don’t be scared to try new things, and you’ll find what’s best for you in no time. 

Educate Yourself

Learning as much as you can about the different types of products, brushes, care methods and routines will be your savior when it comes to curls. On washing days, I shampoo and condition with Shea Moisture products. Then, I detangle with a Tangle Teezer. I dry my hair a bit with a microfiber towel, and then start the styling process. First comes the leave-in conditioner. Then, the styling cream and brushing away from my scalp and up with a Denman brush. When that’s done, I scrunch a bit and then dry my hair with a diffuser一  if I don’t, it will take 3 to 5 business days to become dry. Of course, I remember to use a heat protectant to not damage my hair. This is the process that works best for me, but I have other curly haired pals than use gels, or even air dry. I do recommend that every curly-haired person protect their hair at night. Either use a bonnet, or sleep with satin pillowcases. This will prevent frizziness. Go watch some YouTube videos, read articles and talk to others about their hair experiences. 

Hair has always been a big part of my life,  and feeling ugly when you’re not comfortable with your mane is not the best. That’s why I went through the process of getting my hair to a healthy state. And now, after months of living with my beautiful and healthy hair, I can say I don’t regret it at all. My hair feels and looks better than ever. Give your curls a try!

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.