This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Collegiettes, it’s that time of the year again! The time of friends, enemies, and the sweet smell of desperation, anxiety, love, and roses. It’s Valentine’s Day! Buying a cute little puppy that says “hug me” with chocolates and flowers is not a bad choice but why not make something with your bare hands and imagination for your special someone? Well, here are some easy and beautiful ideas that you can try and create for your unique valentine.

First things first, Valentine’s Day is not only for your lover, but also for the special people you have in your life. It can be your roommate, your mom, your best friend, your crush, or even your grandad. It doesn’t matter for whom it is, the important thing is to take a moment to remind those people that they are of great significance in your life.

Did you know?: In 1537, England’s King Henry VII officially declared Feb. 14 the holiday of St. Valentine’s Day.

Valentine Snow Globe

This is just a sweet and nice idea that your valentine can just put on his bedtime table and remember you by every time she or he looks at it. You’ll be needing a jar, it can be the size of your preference. Of course, it’s a snow globe (emphasis on the snow part) which means you will also need some fake snow, but this can be replaced by some tissue paper or potpourri. Last, but certainly not least, you need decorations! Because of the holiday we are celebrating, hearts would be an appropriate ornament, but to make it even more special you can select a picture with your loved one and use it instead. Or both! I mean why not, right?

Instructions are as easy as they get: Remove the lid of the jar and paste, preferably with hot glue, the decoration you selected. To make it easier you can use a straw and paste the decoration there and then bend the straw and paste that on the lid. The snow part should be poured in the jar once you have everything set and the paste has dried you can close the jar and voila a Valentine Snow Globe.

Valentine Bath Bombs

Yes, you read correctly, bath bombs! What better present than a homemade bath bomb for your bestie! Ingredients:

1 Cups Citric Acid

2 Cups Baking Soda

2 tbsp Cornstarch

1 oz shea butter or coconut butter (melted)

5-6 drops Essential Oil of Choice

1-2 Drops Red Food Coloring (optional)

Spray bottle of Witch Hazel

In a mixing bowl combine cornstarch, citric acid, and baking soda, being sure to remove all lumps. Add in Red food coloring, melted butter, and essential oil, and continue to mix. Using your spray bottle, spray the mixture 2-3 times and mix, slowly adding more witch hazel until the mixture holds it, and it’s shaped when pressed together. Press into silicone molds, making sure to compact them tightly. Allow to dry in silicon molds for 12 hours. Once 12 hours is up, remove them from the molds, and allow them to dry an additional 24 hours for a nice hard bath bomb. This part is optional, you can print out the DIY Valentine Bath Bombs printable, cut out and tape on top of a short mason jar lid.  You can also print it out on sticker paper. Done! Time to give it to your Valentine!

Making Memories Candle

Personally, this is my favorite but that’s because I love candles. This one is maybe the hardest one but, hey! Anything for your Valentine, right?

The first thing you want to do is find images that you want to use. Old black and white photos work best because of the high contrast. When you photocopy the image, play around with the contrast and resolution controls on the copier to get the results you desire. Again, high contrast works best. Oh, and it won’t work with inkjet printers. Either photocopy the images or print using a laser printer.

I recommend using the small votive cylinder candleholders found commonly at craft stores. If you use this size, size your photographs to fit on a 2″ high x 6.5″ long strip. Cut a piece of the transparent contact paper to fit over your photo layout. Peel the backing from the contact paper and place the photocopied image ink-side to the sticky side of the contact paper. If there is any excess sticky parts of the contact paper, adhere plain white paper to it.

Burnish or rub the contact paper to the inked parts of the photocopy. It’s best to do this from the paper side instead of the plastic contact paper side. Be careful to rub all of the areas of the image where there is ink. Trim the contact-paper-covered print out to size. Please note: It works best to let the contact paper wrap around the candleholder completely. Next, soak the paper-covered plastic in a sink of warm water for at least 7 minutes. Some of the paper may begin to fall off on its own. Working under running water, carefully roll your thumb and/or fingers over the inked plastic to remove all of the paper. Don’t rub too hard or the ink will start to come off.

After all the paper is removed, allow the strip to dry, inked (and soon-to-be-sticky-again) side up on a table or counter. As long as the contact paper is wet, it isn’t sticky. As it dries, the tackiness will return. You may see bits of paper you missed when the piece was wet. If this happens, just work with it under running water, using your thumb to rub off all traces of paper. Finally, adhere the inked contact paper to a clean and dry glass votive holder. Add a candle… and tah-dah! Wouldn’t this make a terrific gift? Don’t be limited to just photos…you can do this with a cherished letter (photocopy!) or a quote that you really like. Or a combination of photo with a quote.

Cute Wooden Coasters

This is the perfect gift for coffee lovers! To find some wooden pieces you can go to any craftstore. You will also be needing a pencil, a wood burner (optional), a paint brush and of course paint. This one is pretty easy and fun because you can draw or write anything you want. I recommend using the pencil to draw first and then using the wood burner to carve the things you wrote or drew and then the coloring begins!

Romantic gesture ideas

If you really want to do some romantic gesture for your valentine, here are two cheesy ideas.

First is the basket full of surprises! Ok, so for this you will obviously need a basket. The idea of this is to fill that basket with all your valentines favorite things, favorite movie, chocolates, cd’s, accessories, anything that you see and reminds you of that person. It’s just perfect to demonstrate that person how much he or she means to you.

Last but not least, it’s a trip down memory lane. What better way of celebrating this awesome day than remembering all of the special moments you’ve been through? You can make a lovely album and practice your scrapbooking skills. or you can buy some balloons and fill them with helium. For this second choice, you will need a string and a hole punch, and I think it’s pretty clear where I am going with this. Carve a hole in every picture, pass the string and make a knot. Next, attach it to the balloon. Finally, put all of the balloons in your valentine’s room or car and surprise! The perfect romantic gesture.

Sources:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/pippa/40-diy-valentines-day-gifts-theyll-actually-want-5ocb#.iiLKrLk1W

http://cutediyprojects.com/diy/35-unique-diy-valentines-day-gifts-men/2/

http://dodoburd.com/diy-valentines-gifts

www.youtube.com/bethanymota