Depression: The Hurt That No One Sees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Despite what many people think, depression is a very serious illness and one that concerns us all. It is described by the  U.S. National Library of Medicine as a “medical illness that involves the brain and [involves much] more than a feeling of being ‘down in the dumps’ or ‘blue’ for a few days”. Depression has recently come into the national spotlight after well-known actor and comedian Robin Williams was found dead in his house last Monday night. His death was immediately ruled a suicide. At first, news spread that the actor was combating severe depression, and later on it became of public knowledge that he was also in the early stages of Parkinson’s Disease.

The news was devastiating to many, not just because he was such a well-loved public figure but because this tragic event shows that no one is free from suffering. Aside from the many disturbing details that were released by the press concerning his cause of death, one of the most unsettling aspects of Robin Williams’ suide was the fact that this man, a beloved funnyman who starred in classic comedies like Mrs. Doubtfire and The Bird Cage, who brought so many laughs and tears and evoked so many emotions in us with his work, a man who seemed extraordinarily happy was, ironically, terribly unhappy. Couldn’t it be clearer? Looks can be deceiving, and just because someone seems happy and makes everyone around themselves happy doesn’t mean that they actually are. Sometimes we limit ourselves to know people by appearances and don’t take the time to learn what they’re thinking or going through, nor do we ask ourselves the impact that our words and actions can have on others.Depression is serious and affects more than 20 million people in the United States alone. Its symptoms are persistent and can be caused by genetic, psychological, and biochemical factors.* It’s difficult to notice when someone is going through depression, especially if they don’t speak up, but there are signs that are characteristic of the condition, such as:

-sadness

-loss of interest or pleasure in activities he or she used to enjoy

-thoughts of death or suicide

-feeling of worthlessness

If you know someone who might be suffering from depression, talk to that person, ask what is wrong and if the person doesn’t want to talk to you directly, seek help. Depression can be caused by a variety of situations, such as bullying, a personal loss, and low self-esteem. Let’s make a difference, let’s be kind to one another and let’s worry about what others might be thinking and feeling, because how we treat people could have a lot more to do with their state of mind than they let on. No one should feel less than anyone, no one should feel like an outcast, nor should they be afraid to seek help or speak up, and most importantly of all, no one should have to go through depression alone. Let’s always remember Robin Williams, someone who made everyone laugh as an animated genie and as the most famous Lost Boy of all; who made us cry as a husband who went to Hell and back to save the love of his life and as a doctor who understood that sometimes laughter is the best medicine; but mostly as a man who battled with many obstacles all while appearing he wasn’t.

Let’s make a difference and be there for those who need us. Depression is a serious disease that can affect anyone, and no one should go through it alone or unprepared. If you know someone who might be going through depression, speak up, and if you suspect you are suffering from it, seek professional help and remember you are worth living a happy life!

Robin, you won’t be forgotten. Thanks for the laughs!

Rest in peace.

*Sources Medline Plus & Think Progess.org.

Gabriela Cirilo is a Marketing student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus. She's currently an intern at the IT company and consulting firm Wovenware Inc. Gabriela is a social media and movie addict. She enjoys reading, swimming and listening to new music. Also she loves fashion...and history.