This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year again! And, no, I don’t mean Christmas itself. I mean the time leading up to Christmas, you feel? Christmas only lasts an evening and a day, at best. But the month leading up to that is full of warm and fuzzy feelings and wholesome movies and singing!

There’s something in the air that makes the days sweeter and just… jolly.  Maybe you don’t celebrate Christmas. Maybe you celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Ramadan. Maybe you don’t celebrate anything, which is fine. Whichever the case, I absolutely love decorating for the holidays. If you feel like this is something that might interest you, here are some of my holiday decorating essentials:

1. Get in the Mood

If, like me, you are a Christmas proponent but haven’t really found your jolly spirit this year, listening to Christmas playlists on Spotify–or wherever==can remedy that. Here is one I made for this very purpose. Another option is watching Christmas movies, though personally, I prefer just listening to some playlists; less commitment.

2. Candles

They set the mood, keep the room smelling nice, and can look cute as well. One of my holiday staples is this one from Bath and Body Works that smells just like a pine tree. So if you forego having a natural tree, at least it’ll smell like you have one.  

3.  Throws and pillows

Nothing says “holidays” louder than that warm and cozy feeling you get from being snug (and pretending it’s cold enough to need heavy blankets and sweaters).

4.  Fairy Lights

Though many of us love putting them up all through the year, the holidays are ideal for stringing up some twinkly lights. Not only do they look beautiful, but they can also work as lighting. In my case, my light and ceiling fans are one and the same, so I prefer to use the fairy lights, as opposed to reaching up all the way up to the ceiling fan to switch the lights on. 

5. Christmas Tree

This one is a bit like beating up a dead horse, but it really makes a difference. Some of us don’t like putting the effort into these things because we realize we’ll have to take it all down, sooner rather than later. But you don’t need to forego having a Christmas tree, that’s a crime, don’t you know? It doesn’t need to be a huge tree or even a real tree. It can be an artificial one, or porcelain, or fiber optic one. Heck, a wreath will do! Just have one, ok?

6.  Keep a Theme Going

Try to keep a theme all through your house, apartment, or room. Whether it be winter, or Christmas, or snowmen, or snowflakes; whatever it is, keep it consistent. It makes everything look cohesive and thought-out. Last year, I added some tartan ribbon to my tree, so I got a tartan accent pillow to tie it in.

These are just some of my holiday decorating essentials. Feel free to experiment and figure out your own decorating style. My tastes have been years in the making and I find that they vary from year to year. So just have fun with it and… you do you, babes.

BA in English Literature at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Avid reader of fiction: fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, and certain classics.  Can be found browsing Pinterest, spontaneously singing Disney songs, or finding new ways to procrastinate. Speaks fluent sass and movie quotes.