This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Everyone, you may start rejoicing now. It’s that fantastic time of the year! Many people spend all year waiting for Christmas and when it finally gets here, they want to make sure it is as magical as they imagine. There’s certainly many things that say “Hey, Christmas is here!” However, nothing hints better at the arrival of Christmas than the colorful and beautiful decor. Okay, maybe the food. And the music. But you get my point; decor is essential!

But you’re broke and don’t have a lot to spend on Christmas decoration and ornamentation, because all your budget is being used in presents. Don’t worry, we’ve got your back!

There are a few simple things you can do to make any place look like Christmas. (We’re not including the Christmas tree and the Christmas lights, because… Well, I’m sure you know why.) And remember, these are our picks. You can add to the list as there are many more things you can choose from. So let’s get down to it!

One word. Nutcrackers.

Lots and lots of them! They are beautiful, colorful and they come in all sizes. And there’s one for any theme you can imagine. Scottish nutcracker? You got it. Warrior nutcracker? Go to your nearest store and you’ll find one. Want a Three Kings nutcracker? Of course, there’s one in every corner or quiosco. Hippie nutcracker? Sure, why not. And the best thing of all, they all look like Christmas.

Next, we have candles!

You can use candles for any occasion, and Christmas is not the exception. They make you feel warm, cozy and welcomed. And let’s not forget about the scent…

There are many “christmassy” scents you can choose from: pine scent, cinnamon scent, sugary scents… Besides, they give the room the perfect lighting.

The next one, I’m sure many Puerto Ricans and perhaps in other parts of the world as well, is one they find in almost every home. But I bet many don’t give it a second thought because it’s always been there, perfectly positioned at the center of the table. I’m talking about those festive nuts. Though not exactly a ‘thing’, it certainly has many purposes, including decorating. You can always count on a wooden basket full of nuts. And many of you know the struggle of trying to quickly crack one of those, but once you get the hang of it, you take one after another.

Christmas Wreaths

You can’t go wrong with wreaths. Hang them on the door, hang them on the wall, use it with lights or not, don’t even customize it; it’s still going to look great. Most will already come with some ornaments or some pinecones, so you don’t have to do much. However, if you have a plain one, you can always count on the good ol’ red ribbon. It will give it just the right touch for it to look complete.

Christmas ornaments

Don’t know what to do with them? Maybe your Christmas tree is full, or you just simply don’t have a tree. Well, get creative. Christmas ornaments can be used with anything, and they will look fabulous. Use them with you wreath or take a bunch of them and just put them in a vase. And if you want, you can add pinecones or mints, while you’re at it.

Now, let’s talk Puerto Rican Christmas. If you have not seen some Flores de Pascuas during Christmas, you’re definitely not paying attention. These are everywhere. You will see them in the garage, at the kitchen, at the living room and if there’s a party, the odds are you will find some on the table. Heck, I’ve seen people sneak one of them in bathrooms. So get yourself some Pascuas, and voilà, it’s Christmas.

Alright, so it’s Christmas and there’s the parrandas coming up. If you’re having a party or you’re going to one, there is one thing that can’t be forgotten: instruments. Go get your palitos, your güiro, and the maracas, and use them as decoration too! Put them in a basket and position the basket in a room where people are going to be spending time in, or somewhere that it’s something people will see when they enter the room. And if you’re creative enough, you can also find a way to position the instruments on tables or hang them in walls. I’ve seen güiros hanging on walls, where they can be easily reached and then be put back. You can also do this with Puerto Rican pavas, which were used by jíbaros.

Remember, there are many things you can do to decorate for Christmas. There are tablecloths, Christmas socks, Christmas tree figurines, and much more stuff. However, if you want to create that Christmas feel without doing much or having to buy super expensive stuff, these are some options you can go with. Happy Christmas, folks!