This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We passed the halfway mark! Meeting our eighth couple was a blast because you could already see they looked out for each other as friends and as partners. Take notes ladies and gents because couple number eight has some good advice and secrets to keeping your relationship going even if you didn’t really like each other at first!

Cute Campus Couple

Lorena Álvarez & Javier Colón

How’d you two meet?

LA: We met in a summer class at the UPR. At first, I hated him because he’s that type of guy that asks a lot of questions in class (but not stupid, like, really good questions), and I was like “ugh, he thinks he’s soooo intelligent.”

Lorena laughs.

JC: I met her through a mutual friend… She seemed normal at first, but then she seemed to always be pissed at something, and I was just like “well, whatever, she’s just like that…” We also started out as normal friends.

How long have you been together?

LA: We’ve been together for 2 years and 6-7 months… or maybe 8. We kind of always forget how much time we’ve been together.

Both look at each other like “oh well!”

What was the first thing you noticed about each other?

LA: After I stopped hating him…

Javier looks at Lorena but laughs.

LA: After I stopped not liking him…

They both laugh.

LA: I saw the real person he was: funny, helpful and very nice. Then I started liking him as a friend, then as a good friend, then as a cute person, then as a really really cute person, and then… Here we are!

JC: She was just a normal person at first. Just another friend I made during our summer class. After a while, I just noticed that in fact, she was beautiful. One day she came to class without her glasses, and I definitely realized that yes… she is beautiful.

What makes your relationship work?

LA: Understanding. I always try to be very understanding, and we talk about everything we feel or want.

JC: I think that we complement each other. In some ways, we are completely 100% different and sometimes we think alike. I believe she’s the better half, and I’m the evil one, but we somehow make it work. We both really lazy too, and I think that our mutual laziness is a major thing that makes us bond.

Both at the same time.

And dogs… We love dogs too!

One word to describe your partner.

LA: Funny… and smart… and hilarious! It’s hard to pick one!

JC: Loving.

Do you have a Valentine’s Day tradition?

LA: Not really… We go out if we’re free.

JC: Go out to eat? I don’t know. We’re not that traditional in a lot of things.

It’s funny how things turn out in the end, right? One moment you could be taking a class and find someone very annoying and the next you guys have been together for two years. Has that ever happened to you? Share it with us on Twitter!

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.