Cozy Pick Me Ups During an Awkward Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Hurricane María left a trail of devastation in its path, but we Puerto Ricans are resilient and have not let this natural disaster stop us. Slowly, campuses have opened, classes have started, and we are getting back to our new normal.

For a lot of us, this means waking up at the crack of dawn and commuting to our universities and jobs. Long days full of heat and nettling mosquitoes (nettling means annoying; I feel fancy while saying it.) seem unending, and ultimately we’re received by darkness and empty pipes when we get home. Yes, it all seems quite bleak, which is why we need to find little things and places that make our days brighter. I have the perfect space that provides both and even a little extra!

If you’re familiar with the Rio Piedras campus, you know there is a wonderful spot called IUPICOOP Cafe where you can always count on being surrounded by the bustle of student life, and for some odd reason, this evokes a sense of being right where you need to be at the perfect time. Or… Maybe that’s just my caffeine-crazed veins yearning for a large dosage of coffee, but hey, a girl’s gotta get her java.

There’s something about being able to curl up with a good book, a hot drink, and a sweet treat that makes you feel endless, hopeful, and at peace with yourself. To put it like the late and magnificent David Bowie would have said, it makes us feel like “We could be heroes just for one day.” It’s times like these when we need to feel empowered and inspired to make a difference. Maybe it’s just me, but knowing I have a place where I can think, study, or just hang out is priceless (even more if there’s Wifi).

Because my friends insist I drink too much coffee for it to be healthy, I decided to trade my 12 ounces, very black cup of Joe, sans sugar, for something that goes hand in hand with the season and receives less judgment from my well-meaning friends. I present to you (drumroll please): the chai latte.This lovely drink, which has quickly become one of my favorites, is called “El Ejecutivo” and it’s filled with all the yummy spices you could ever dream of. The concoction originated in India, and, when translated, masala chai literally means mixed spice tea. Made with a base of black tea and a fusion of black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, among others, it is no wonder the beverage has gained worldwide popularity.

For those gals that enjoy drinks that scream Thanksgiving and remind us Christmas is right around the corner, this is the choice for you. Hot or iced the flavors are amazing and you can pair it with one of their delicious cookies. If you’re looking to keep with the theme, the pumpkin and baklava ones are a magnificent alternative that won’t disappoint. Also, if you want a kick in your drink, you can ask the servers at IUPICoop to add a shot of espresso and make it a dirty chai!

A little self-love and pampering is never a bad idea. You work hard; reward yourself! And when classes start at seven in the morning, who doesn’t want a little something to cheer them up? So go with a friend, buy it to go, or sip it slowly while enjoying some Literature, but don’t miss out!

For more ideas on how to pamper yourself check out this article our collaborator wrote.