Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Collegiette Struggles: Becoming a Successful Undergraduate Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

There’s no doubt that being a college student is hard. Going from high school to college is a major life transition and the world of creating your own schedule is completely new and different to us. We have to learn how our university institution works, how to balance our work, school, and social life, how to deal with finances and do adult stuff, and we have to think about our post-graduation plans. Of course, this is all while struggling to keep a somewhat stable emotional, physical, and mental health. #thestruggleisreal. And, to be honest, we certainly don’t get much credit for it. On the contrary, more from us is expected.

With less than three months from graduating (which I am very excited about!) I look back and realize it hasn’t been an easy ride. So, as someone who understands, I want to help you by sharing a few tips that have helped me become a successful undergraduate student academically and health-wise. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t come straight from high school knowing this and I don’t have everything together all the time. In fact, I still struggle with some of these things from time to time. I’ve just learned a few tricks along the way, so, be patient and enjoy the ride.

Determine Your Mindset

Whether you go to university because your parents made you, or you want to have the “college experience,” or get a degree, a good job, and/or continue studying, a committed and focused mindset is everything.

Establishing goals, plans, and purpose for the next years of your life will give you a clear vision of your future and help you keep in mind that whatever you do can affect those plans in a positive or negative way.

If you have no clue what you want to do with your life afterwards, you’re not alone. Trust me. Regardless, come to university with a committed mindset to become the best version of yourself, while preparing academically and professionally. But don’t let your future be your entire focus. Enjoy every part of your journey, for it is yours to create and experience, and don’t worry, you’ll find your way.

Related: Dealing With Late Realizations About Your Future

Choose Your Classes Wisely

In every major you have an outline of the classes you need to take as a requirement for your degree; others, you can choose freely. DO NOT take classes just to take them or to reach a minimum of credits. If they’re not appealing to you, I repeat, DO NOT take them. You will regret it if you’re bored to death or find it tedious to the point where you might be tempted to skip it and it’s just not worth it. You’ll be investing time, energy, money, and possibly jeopardizing your grades and motivation.

Read course descriptions, research your professors beforehand, ask other students, check with yourself and what you like, and make sure the classes you take really interest you. If the one you want is full, clashes with another, or it’s given at an inconvenient time, keep searching. You’ll find something of your interest that enriches you academically, professionally, and even personally. Believe me, the school life can be less tedious when you’re excited and motivated about the lessons rather than dreading every moment of it.

Organization is Key

One of the things that has truly made my life easier and way more productive is having a student-weekly planner. It has helped me established priorities, stay on top of my responsibilities, complete my tasks, and plan ahead.

The ones I have used for the last 3-4 years have been from a company called Bloom Daily Planners. It is designed by women for women and it’s meant to help you to live a more fulfilling life through organization, as stated in their bio.

Their planners give you space to write down your goals for the year in different aspects of your life, as well as daily tasks, and even your own schedule. It keeps you accountable for your plans and goals, as it checks with you once in a while which is beneficial for motivation and commitment. (Click the link and check it out for yourself.)

The Lalagirl Smiling Holding Journal
Her Campus Media

Say Goodbye to Procrastination

Know yourself. What are your bad habits? Find them and explore what you need to do to break them.

One of the biggest bad habits many of us have is PROCRASTINATION. We put off things that we have to do in order to do other things instead (maybe even less important ones), and leave the rest for the very last minute.

What I’ve always liked is to do my assignments, readings, projects, or whatever, the same day they were assigned. At least starting them or planning how I’m going to do them. It gives me a kick start and if I do them early I have more free time later to do other work or have a break to watch a film, go out with friends, catch up on sleep, and whatnot.

Side note: When you do this, notice how, when it’s close to the deadline, you’ll have peace of mind and tranquility while your classmates will be freaking out because they’ve not done it or haven’t studied for it yet. But, help them out and give them this tip. You’ll all benefit from it. 

Know Yourself and Develop Your Own Methods

Every student is different and we all have our way to do things that work best for us.

Going back to the organization topic, some people prefer to have everything on their phones, others like physical planners, and others prefer bullet journals. They’re all great, but one will always work best for you. The same thing happens when studying for exams. Some students like to make reviews on their computers, others do them by hand and use a bunch of colorful highlighters or pens; some retain more information through flash-cards, and others have a photographic memory. Some students find it best to study at a library and others at home. Some prefer to study with a group of people and others work best when they study by themselves.

Find what works for you and stick to it, but plan, organize, and commit to it.

Student Organizations

Student organizations are a great way to meet other people both similar to and different from you. It expands your social circle, gives you purpose, and teaches you many things that will help you grow.

​Look for those that believe or stand by similar things you do, relate to your major or future academic/professional plans, and/or provide useful resources and knowledge that interest you.

SLEEP!

We’ve all been there staying up until 3 a.m. studying for an exam, finishing an essay, or starting (and hopefully finishing) an assignment due the next day. That’s where organization and prioritizing comes in (again).

Some of us may suffer from insomnia, anxiety, or stress that might prevent us from getting the amount of sleep we need. If that’s the case, seek medical guidance that can help you get into a sustainable sleeping routine in the healthiest way possible. But we need the right amount of sleep in order to properly function physically and mentally just as much as healthy and well-balanced nutrition.

Sleepy girl in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash
In the end, everything comes down to balance, organization, and commitment with yourself, your plans, and your studies. Becoming a disciplined student is key to have great success and what better way than achieving it while doing things you truly like and keeping yourself sane! I wish you all the best!

I believe in spreading light and positivity anywhere we find ourselves. I encourage self-love and in lifting our sisters up to be better, stronger, and more confident women. For that, I'm excited to be part of this platform that will allow me to voice my thoughts and share them with amazing ladies interested in starting conversations. Lots of love and positive vibes to everyone.