Campus Cutie: Warren Carrasquillo Álvarez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Warren Carrasquillo

Major: Humanities-Modern Languages

Graduation Year: 2015

Relationship Status: Single

1. What made you choose that as your major and what do you like most about it? 

In reality, I don’t see myself studying something else that isn’t the Humanities, and since I love art, and at the same time human/social contact, I chose Modern Languages as way to maintain that human interaction without letting go of art.

1. What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time I practice Capoeira with my friends and a group of which I am a part of. I also like playing my guitar, singing, and watching a good movie or just have a good conversation with good company.

1. What is and since when do you practice Capoeira?

Capoeira is a martial art. Many confuse it with dance because of the music and the instruments which are used in order to practice it, but the main reason for that is that the African slaves in Brasil created Capoeira to defend themselves from their owners and they had to hide it as a dance. I have been practicing Capoeira for 3 years, give or take.

1. What do you like about it?

What I like about Capoeira is that it is a method for liberating tension, getting together with friends, and having a good time. It relaxes you; it’s a complete exercise that covers the majority of your muscles. After training for a while, it turns into a way of life. Sincerely, I think that Capoeira is, in a way, a family that shares something beautiful and fun.

1. Describe yourself in one word

Patient.

1. Music that you are currently obsessing over:

All types of reggae from different parts of the world. Day after day, what I listen to is reggae. But, there is one song that I’m obsessing over that has nothing to do with reggae: “Suit and Tie” by Justin Timberlake.

1. What are some qualities that you find attractive in a girl?

That she is smart, her beauty is unique and exotic, and that our conversations flow naturally. She doesn’t take notice of insignificant things like what people think about her or gossip. That she is sure of herself in the complete definition of the word. Her style, super important. Finally, that she is sweet and affectionate.

1. What is your idea of a perfect date?

Dress elegantly, pick her up at her house, take her out to eat at a nice restaurant where we drink wine and have good conversation. Then, take her to a place she doesn’t know, or that she already loves, or that interests her. As the night ends, take her to her house and keep drinking red wine, letting the night take its course…

1. If you could travel to any place around the world, where would it be and why?

I would travel to Brazil, since I am studying Portuguese, it would be convenient to go there to practice. Brazil is an immense country full of culture and flavor, for example, the gastronomy, the architecture, the social life, the beaches, the many activities, how united the families are, Capoeira; I would be able to learn so much more about Capoeira because for them, it’s like their daily loaf of bread.

1. What is one of your favorite words and what does it mean?

Patience. I would say that it’s the capacity to face certain situations, people, adversities, problems, etc., calmly and in the correct way.

Click on the next page to read in Spanish

[ pagebreak ]

1. ¿Qué fue lo que te llamó la atención de las Humanidades y por qué decidiste estudiar lenguas?

Realmente no me veo estudiando algo que no tenga que ver con las humanidades, y como me encanta el arte, y a la misma vez el contacto humano/social, escogí Lenguas Extranjeras como método a esa interacción humana que no deja de ser arte.

2. ¿Qué haces en tu tiempo libre?

En mi tiempo libre practico Capoeira con el grupo que pertenezco y con amistades. Además me gusta mucho la guitarra, cantar y sentarme a ver una buena película o simplemente tener una buena conversación con una buena compañía. 

3. ¿Qué es Capoeira y desde cuando lo practicas?

La Capoeira es un arte marcial, muchas personas lo confunden como una danza/baile por la música y los instrumentos que lleva, pero la razón principal era eso: Los esclavos africanos en Brasil crearon la Capoeira para defenderse de sus capataces, y tenían que disfrazarlo como un baile, por lo tanto se crea esa confusión hoy día. Soy capoerista desde hace unos 3 años más o menos. 

4. ¿Qué es lo más que te gusta sobre este deporte?

A mí lo que me gusta de la Capoeira es que es un modo de liberar tensión, de juntarte con amistades y tener un bien tiempo, te relaja, es un ejercicio completo que cubre la gran mayoría de tus músculos. Se convierte en un estilo de vida, luego de estar un tiempo entrenando. Sinceramente pienso que la Capoeira es una familia que comparte algo bonito y divertido. 

5. Dime una palabra que mejor te describa…

Paciencia.

6. Música favorita…

Todo tipo de reggae de distintas partes del mundo. Día tras día lo que escucho es reggae. Pero hay una canción que estoy obsesionado y no tiene que ver con reggae: “Suit and Tie” de Justin Timberlake.

7. ¿Qué buscas en una chica?

Que sea intelectual, que su belleza sea exótica y única. Que las conversaciones fluyan naturalmente; que no se fije en cosas estúpidas como por ejemplo el “qué dirán” social. Que sea segura de sí misma en todo en todo el contexto de la palabra. Su vestimenta, muy importante. Que sea tierna y cariñosa.

8. ¿Cuál sería la cita perfecta con una chica?

Vestirse bonito y elegante, buscarla a su casa, llevarla a comer a un restaurante de “Fine dinning”, copas de vino, buena conversación. Luego llevarla a un lugar exótico, o que a ella le encante ir, o que sea de tu agrado o interés. Cuando la noche acabe, llevarla a su casa (para que se siente cómoda) y seguir tomando vino tinto para luego enredarse entre  sabanas y caricias… 

9. Si pudieras viajar a cualquier parte del mundo, ¿a dónde irías y por qué?

Viajaría a Brasil, ya que estoy hablando portugués me conviene para realmente practicar. Brasil es un país gigantesco lleno de cultura y sabor como por ejemplo la gastronomía, la arquitectura, lo social, las playas, las actividades, lo unido que son las familias, la Capoeira; pudiera aprender sobre la Capoeira tantas cosas porque para ellos la Capoeira es como decir el pan de cada día de ellos. 

10. ¿Cuál es tu palabra favorita y qué significa para ti?

Paciencia. Diría que es la capacidad de enfrentar situaciones, personas, adversidades, problemas etc., con calma y de la manera correcta.

*The pictures were taken from: Warren’s Facebook

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!