Campus Cutie Stephanie Ortiz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

You might find Stephanie hunched over her books inside a library. Maybe you’ll even see her exiting her Organic Chem lab, talking enthuastically with her partners, or you might even see her enjoying some quinoa at Pitanza. Not only is she a very hard working student who loves eating healthy, she’s also someone who finds time to manage her Twitter account. Many people around our campus know her as @_cafeoscurito but if you don’t have Twitter, or haven’t seen her around campus, then read on to learn more about her!

Name: Stephanie Nicole Ortiz

Age: I’m going to be 20 next week!

Major: Biology

Relationship Status: Taken

Year: Sophomore

Favorite movie: well, this one is tough, but I really like Love & Other Drugs

HC: What attracts you most about science?

Stephanie: How complex yet, beautiful, it is. The way anything on Earth can be explained, and in most cases demonstrated, via a series of methods. You know, most people have the impression that the scientific field is one where everything is so boring and difficult, but in reality, there are so many branches that one can explore and eventually, fall in love with a specific area. In my case, I am in love with the human body and how it works. There are so many mechanisms going on inside us and they all connect… I could go on for hours! Science is truly amazing.  

HC: What advice will you be willing to give to a high school student coming into Biology?

Stephanie: Do not procastinate, I repeat, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE.  No, seriously, this particular area of study is characterized for the amount of material given in a short period of time and if you do not organize yourself and study a little bit of everything every day for at least an hour (yes, I know you’ve heard this before in high school many times) it can be a disaster. It takes a little time to get used to the system but it gets better, I promise. 

HC: What makes UPRRP unique from the other campus’?

Stephanie: UPRRP’s open spaces and landscape. Its such a green and beautiful campus. Also, the diversity of students. Not once since I started here have I met people who share the same views and have the same style. Every person is unique and you can learn something new from everyone.  

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Stephanie: With my Bachelor’s degree in Biology and hopefully in medical school or graduate school.

HC: If you won a million dollars, what would you do with the money?

Stephanie: First, I would clear my parents of all their debts to take that weight off their shoulders. Then, I would take a year off and go travel. Cause hey, who’s in a rush to finish college when you’re rich? *laughs* 

HC: What’s a big misconception people have about you? How do you deal with possibly changing their minds?

Stephanie: Most people think that I’m anti-social or stuck up because I’m from Natu, but in reality, I love making new friends and I don’t use my area of study to show off. I mean, I am proud of what I do but it is because I truly love it. Also, I’m an introvert so you won’t see me in huge crowds or being loud. My advice is to get to know me, I promise I’m not mean!

HC: What’s the first thing you notice when meeting a person?

Stephanie: How they express themselves and how they talk about other people. Usually, if a person that I just met starts talking behind someone’s back, I already know that this is someone I don’t want in my circle of friends. I’m pretty selective in that aspect and one thing (that’s actually very useful for our daily lives) that the Organic Chemistry labs have taught me is that quality beats quantity, EVERY TIME.  

HC: What do you look for in a partner?

Stephanie: Honesty, sense of humor, and intellect. I love a guy with whom I can talk about the most serious things but at the same time laugh about anything. I also value honesty, since I can’t be with someone who’s shady and that I can’t trust. 

HC: How does your ideal date look like?

Stephanie: My ideal date involves putting our cell phones away and just enjoying each other’s company. I love to eat and I’m obsessed with coffee so if you buy me either, I’m already sold. I also enjoy a nice conversation and being able to be ourselves, as long as we have this, the date will be perfect regardless of the place.

*photos were taken from Stephanie’s Facebook

Double Major Student in Human Resources and Marketing Management. She loves Social Networks, Netflix and spending time with books once in a while. She is the oldest of three children therefore she is very responsible, humble and driven. On her spare time she manages to find time to talk to a camera over at her Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/AshleyMarie9521. She wants to change the world, doesn't know how yet but she wants to. "Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."