Campus Cutie: José Ricardo Pérez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: José Ricardo Pérez

Year: Sophomore, 2015

Hometown: Dorado, P.R.

Major: Finance

Relationship status: It’s complicated

HCUPR: Involvements on campus?

José: Member of the Capítulo Estudiantil Sociedad Ambiente Marino (abbreviated as CESAM)

HCUPR: Favorite food?

José: Italian

HCUPR: Favorite music?

José: Reggae

HCUPR: Favorite artists…

José: SOJA, Groundation, Bob Marley…

HCUPR: Who’s your favorite fictional hero? 

José: Iron Man

HCUPR: Fun fact…

José: Would like to live in the middle of nowhere.

HCUPR: What do you appreciate the most in a woman?

José: Intelligence.

HCUPR: How would your dream life look like?

José: I’d have my own business, travel all the time… I don’t know. I want to make the most out of this life.

HCUPR: Who are your real-life heroes?

José: I think I’d go with Julian Assange because he attempted to achieve higher government transparency with the foundation of WikiLeaks. As citizens, we don’t really get to know what truly goes on when our diplomats meet up with other countries’ foreign ministers. So, when Assange published the embassies’ cables, people all over the world became aware of many uncomfortable truths we wouldn’t have come to know otherwise. I also consider Angela Merkel [Germany’s chancellor] as one of my real-life heroes, since I think she is one of the most practical yet considerate leaders around. She is a great politician, and her economic policy exemplifies her competence and her vast knowledge about economics.

HCUPR: What do you do as an extracurricular activity?

José: Well, I work at a clinic laboratory, but since February I’m a member of CESAM [which stands for Capítulo Estudiantil Sociedad Ambiente Marino].  Basically, it’s a student organization here, in Naturales that looks out for the well-being and the preservation of the environment. We give conferences and lectures on how to save marine ecosystems, but we also have projects for the conservation of tinglares [the largest marine turtles in the world] and coral reefs, and for the control of lionfish. But I’m more involved with the tinglares’ project. There, we watch and protect the turtles’ nests, without interfering with the baby turtles. I love it.

HCUPR: What has been your most memorable adventure?

José: It was during Christmas break, and we went to the San Cristóbal Canyon (el Caño San Cristóbal) in Barranquitas. It was insane. We almost died, actually hahaha. I went there with some friends, and one of them wanted to climb up one of the steepest mountains. We were kind of really scared, but when we made it to the top, I knew it had been totally worth it.

HCUPR: What is your favorite quote/motto:

José: “Never regret anything you’ve ever done.”

*The pictures were taken from:

José’s Facebook

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!