Being Eco-Conscious as a Student: A Guide 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Being a college student is not sustainable. Let’s face it; we’re constantly on the move, from one place to another, balancing extracurriculars, pulling out all-nighters, handing in projects, working on the side, meeting with friends and peers, discovering nearby places to eat, and generating a ton of waste while we’re at it. According to data from The Nature Conservancy, the average carbon footprint (meaning the amount of greenhouse gasses generated by our housing conditions, transportation, energy, and food consumption) of a person in the United States is 16 tons per year –one of the highest averages in the world. Adding this fact to drastic increases in global warming and all its effects on the environment and the wellbeing of species across the planet, not to mention our own health, it’s always the right time to help make the world a better place to live in.

Global warming and climate change, pollution, overpopulation, deforestation, and waste disposal are all complex environmental issues that relate to one another. “Saving” the planet by recycling plastic alone is just as unreal as plastic straws being public enemy no.1 when discussing the environment. While the 2015 viral video of a turtle with a straw stuck up its nose made the world wary of plastic straws, it also paved the way for companies to portray themselves as being eco-friendly by banning them; a corporate move known as greenwashing. But just because a label or a brand prides itself in being “green” doesn’t mean it actually is. So then, what can we do individually?

As individuals, we can’t exactly save the planet, but we can make a conscious effort to help out the environment. As students, being a part of this change is actually easier than you might think. With just a few small and budget-friendly changes in the academic aspect of our daily routines, being an eco-conscious student is not only a possibility, but a shared responsibility. Here’s a few ways to get started:

USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

The majority of air pollutants produced by vehicle engines are odorless and invisible, meaning they’re a constant presence in busy urban environments such as college campuses. Public transportation, whether by bus or train, is a great option to reduce air pollution. Benefits for you, you might ask? By skipping traffic, you can actually get to places faster by hopping on your local train (and saving money you’d otherwise spend on gas). Plus, most public transportation offers special rates for students. A win-win.

DON’T PRINT (IF YOU CAN HELP IT)

As college students, the amount of paper we waste on notebooks and printing is insane. I’m an architecture student, and in my five years of studying, I don’t want to begin to imagine the amount of cardboard, paper, plastic and materials that I’ve discarded through the years. Regardless of your major, the paper problem is serious, and more and more offices and professors are becoming aware of this by asking for forms and documents to be delivered digitally. Sometimes, printing is unavoidable, and for those moments, it’s great to keep a recycled paper supply with discarded papers to use for your future writing or printing needs. Note taking is also important, and if you’re like me, I find it way more practical to write on paper instead of taking notes digitally. A great alternative is buying notebooks made from recycled paper, available in most office supply stores. Trees everywhere will thank you. 

BYOB – BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE (OR COFFEE CUP!)

Plastic water bottles and coffee cups are common items in our everyday waste; after all, water (and caffeine, for some of us) are the fuel that keeps us going through a busy college week. Luckily, by carrying reusable food containers, water bottles and coffee cups on the go, we can reduce our daily single-use plastic waste significantly. Specifically on college campuses, water fountains and hydration stations are available for refills, while some coffee shops even offer discounts to students who bring their own reusable cups.

THRIFT YOUR CLOTHES

It’s no big secret that the fashion industry has harmed the environment significantly; according to The Years Project, it’s the second largest contributor to global pollution. With the rising popularity of fast fashion brands like Shein, which releases an alarming average of 2,000 new items per day, keeping up to date with the accelerated pace of current fashion trends contributes to a consumer culture of waste.

Luckily, we can choose to be conscious of the clothes we wear by shopping sustainably, investing in longer-lasting garments with a higher quality than those mass-produced by fast fashion retailers. The answer: thrift shopping! Thrifting is not only a budget-friendly alternative to expensive slow-fashion created with recycled materials, but an amazing way to find one-of-a-kind pieces and style truly unique looks. Vintage and thrift stores, both in-person and online, are becoming more and more accessible to college communities. At UPR,  Electroshock is a favorite among students to buy, trade and sell, and vintage fairs like The Vintfresh Market, held monthly, bring together local vendors with second-hand and vintage goods.

GET CRAFTY AND RECYCLE 

There isn’t a single or correct way to recycle. In fact, if you’re looking hard enough, you can bring new life to old items in the most creative ways. From making a pen holder from an old plastic container, to taking an empty candle glass and turning it into a jewelry dish, to crafting all sorts of decorations to spice up your room or workspace, recycling is so much more than separating cans, paper, and plastics.

TAKE A STAND

It’s a fact that government officials have the power to create policies that will either benefit or negatively impact the environment. As students, we can make our voice heard by protesting against developments and constructions that harm our communities, participating in student-led activism for climate change, volunteering in reforestation and waste cleanup initiatives, joining environmental awareness associations, such as Sociedad Eco-Ambiental at UPR and Para La Naturaleza, and most importantly, voting for candidates who prioritize a healthy planet, both for the present and for generations to come.

Sofia Capllonch is a musician and graduate architecture student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. When she isn't working on design projects, jamming out or reading a good book, there's a huge chance you'll find her obsessing over guitar gear or hanging out with her cats.