Barbie-shaming: A Look Into the ‘Barbie’ Backlash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Some spoilers ahead for ‘Barbie’!

As of late, everything seems to be hot pink in the spirit of Barbie’s release in theaters! There’s been a lot of buzz surrounding the project, with audiences eager to see what this live-action version of their beloved doll would be like.

Starting in 2009, Mattel attempted to work with Universal Pictures and Sony Pictures, along with a number of producers and writers, to create the film. After her role as the titular doll was confirmed, Margot Robbie herself pitched the movie to Warner Bros. and approached Greta Gerwig to have her as Barbie’s screenwriter. She accepted on the condition that Noah Baumbach would also contribute in writing the script, and the rest is history.

We all braced ourselves for anything, making sure to have all-pink outfits to wear to the theater. The excitement online was palpable, the masses were stirring. It’s like we were all waiting for this incredible thing to happen.

And then it happened. And oh my God, did it happen.

And then… some people got mad?

The first thing that surprised viewers was the film’s PG-13 rating. A movie about a world-renowned doll having anything other than a G or PG rating was a little odd, but hey, it’s Barbie and Ken in the real world: reality isn’t always PG. As this article from Today explains, the movie contains “suggestive references” and “brief language.” Some snide comments here and there about the Kens beaching each other off and two instances where characters talk about or make reference to genitals will get you a PG-13 rating easily. Then there’s also the beach-off scene (wink, wink), which does include some mild violence. 

That’s when some of the “mad” happened. Parents (like this one) were bringing their kids into the Barbie showings, seemingly unaware of the rating, and then became upset when the innuendos and comments appeared in the dialogue. I can’t say it’s entirely unexpected, as it’s safe to assume a movie about Barbie would be kid-friendly. Nonetheless, it is a parent’s responsibility to make sure that what they take their kids to see is appropriate (according to their beliefs).

Another aspect of the Barbie movie that has people upset is that they seem to perceive it as “anti-man.” This is absolutely not the case and the best way I’ve seen it explained is in the above post by Matt Bernstein. He says, “[…] the movie sympathetically shows how patriarchy ultimately hurts men’s mental health, stifles their creativity, ruins relationships, and inhibits them from self-actualizing.” Bernstein then elaborates that if the movie was actually pushing a man-hating agenda, they simply would have cut off Ken’s character arc at him discovering patriarchy and leaving him as “a sexist, power-hungry asshole.” 

But it didn’t. It showed how all the Kens were stifled by their constant performance of rugged masculinity and domineering attitudes, and how they just wanted to truly be themselves. Though their attempt at being fully self-actualized was to try to push the Barbies to the side and to take control of Barbieland after a lifetime of being second to the Barbies, they do eventually acknowledge their mistakes. And that is why this movie is anti-patriarchy, not “anti-men,” much to the dismay of more conservative-leaning men. Sidenote, I’m still not over the fact that Ted Cruz went on Fox News and actually declared war on Barbie. (Or that conservatives were going so far as to make the claim that Barbie was pushing the trans agenda during the scene in which Weird Barbie offers Stereotypical Barbie the high heel and the Birkenstock, not to mention the casting of Hari Nef, a trans actress.)

As for my final thoughts on this, Barbie was destined to create a divide amongst watchers. It is definitely not the happy-go-lucky, kid-friendly film based on the iconic doll that was expected. Instead, Greta Gerwig delivered a poignant piece which asks existential questions and criticizes the patriarchy. It was a masterful commentary on its negative effects on all members of society, delivered via Margot Robbie’s Barbie, alongside a wonderful cast.

All in all, Barbie caused quite a stir on the Internet. Be it criticism or praise, it has everybody talking. As someone who watched this film several times, I find the accusations of man-hating content and pandering to be false. It is a film about women’s experience in the real world and the challenges we face daily. They also discuss how the patriarchy pushes some men to perform their masculinity to an unhealthy point. The subplot regarding motherhood and how mothers do everything to help their children thrive certainly made me cry as I held my mom’s hand in the theater. 

It was a heartwarming existential crisis wrapped up in a hot pink bow, and it is definitely worth a watch, readers!

Carola Ríos Pérez is a writer for the Her Campus at UPR chapter. She focuses on writing reviews and analyses about films, series, and books, as well as sharing some of her life experiences through personal essays. In 2021, she graduated with honors from Colegio Nuestra Señora de Belén. Initially, she began her career as a university undergraduate at the University of Puerto Rico’s Río Piedras campus as a Communications student, with a major in Public Relations and Publicity. Currently, she is a junior in Humanities, majoring in Modern Languages, with a focus on Portuguese and German. Other than academics and Her Campus, Carola enjoys kickboxing and spending some quality time with her three cats, Keanu, Ginger, and Kai. Her passion for languages is reflected in her music tastes, and there’s no song she won’t listen to at least once. Occasionally, inspiration will strike, and Carola will focus on writing her own stories, heavily inspired by the Young Adult novels that shaped her teenage years. Every once in a blue moon, though, she will either go into a minor baking frenzy to procrastinate or pick up her guitar and “jam” her worries away.