Alcohol vs. Marijuana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s a constant debate-which one is really worse for you? Well, the answer to this question requires a little bit of research. Ever heard that Alcohol and Marijuana are the mixtures of the good, the bad and the ugly? Upon grasping a better understanding of the pros and cons of Alcohol and Marijuana, better decisions can be made about how good or bad they can be for you.

According to the National Institute On Drug Abuse (NIDA), Marijuana is a dry, shredded green and brown mix of leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds from the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. People either smoke it in hand-rolled cigarettes (joints) or in pipes. There is no question that Marijuana is the most illicit drug used in the United States and Puerto Rico.

Marijuana, also known as pasto, became very popular in the 1960s. Back then, many people who are now the grandparents and parents of some of the kids today, smoked it without knowing the adverse effects. As stated in a report by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), most of the Marijuana today is considerably more potent than the weed in the Woodstock era, and its users tend to be younger than those of past generations.

On the other hand, we have alcohol, which is an intoxicating ingredient found in beer, wine and liquor. Alcohol is produced by the fermentation of yeast, sugars, and starches. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) says that people drink to socialize, celebrate and relax. Alcohol has a strong effect on people. Throughout history the NIAAA has been trying to understand and analyze alcohol’s power on users. 

So, alcohol vs. marijuana: which is safer? No matter what you decide, know this: they can both take toll on your body.

[ pagebreak ]

Alcohol

Pros

• Good in moderation;
  • Stress-reliever;
  • Reduce risks of dying of heart attacks and strokes;
  • Glass of red wine a couple times of week keeps the heart healthy;
  • Reduces the risks of diabetes

Cons

• Contributes to liver disease;
  • Causes memory loss and impaired judgement;
  • Toxic;
  • People die from alcohol abuse;
  • Damages the brain;
  • Linked to cancer;
  • Increases the risk of injury to the consumer;
  • Alcohol use contributes to agressive and violent behavior

Marijuana

Pros

• Therapeutic properties (medical conditions);
  • Relaxation;
  • Nobody dies from smoking or eating Cannabis

Cons

• Causes cognitive impairment;
  • Causes mental health problems;
  • Considered as the “gateway” drug;
  • Memory loss;
  • Generates dependence;
  • Smoking-related health problems

The pictures were taken from:

potaganda.blogspot.com 

www.guardian.co.uk

favim.com

www.tumblr.com

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!