This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Endings tend to be bittersweet, and today it’s unfortunate to announce that the OG Ben and Jerry’s, the local in La Calle del Cristo, El Viejo San Juan, declared it will be permanently closed. The ice cream company established themselves on the island 20 years ago, and since then, they have warmed everyone’s hearts with their delicious sweets. The shop officially announced their departure on their Facebook page.

Although, lovers of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream can still stop by Condado’s shop in Ventana del Mar and the local in Torrimar’s train station

The Condado shop is open on weekdays from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm, and weekends from 10:00 am – 11:00 pm. The Torrimar shop has installed new hours post-María, so they open on weekdays from 2:00 pm- 8:00 pm, and weekends from 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm. 

As previously mentioned, endings can be bittersweet. The departure of one shop gives space for the growth of locally established ice cream shops from fellow Puerto Ricans. I highly recommend Below Zero, a small ice cream shop in the Ashford Ave. in Condado. Their ice cream is made fresh daily and after every five purchases of ice cream, the customer wins one for free! 

Source: Primera Hora 

Ana Teresa Solá is a Creative Writing student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus and aspires to further her education with an M.S. in Journalism. Solá covers all things society and culture, and advocates for human equality.