5 Ways to Avoid Excessive Procrastination in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Every once in a while, college students don’t feel the need to finish their projects and homework right away. What exactly is procrastination? Procrastination is to put off or delay urgent tasks to a later time, by doing other unproductive things.

Anything in excess is bad, but excessive procrastination can be even worse. According to a research conducted the effects of excessive procrastination can be critical, such as; sleep deprivation, frustrations, depression, loss of creativity, laziness, and many more. These effects can aggravate deeply your academic career, so here is a mini guide to help you not to fall into it.

1- Elude the use of Internet

The Internet is an excellent source of information when there’s the need. But it’s in the Internet where you get most distracted; with videos, movies, among other things. Time spent in the internet can be from 2 hours up to 10 hours daily. Those hours can be useful for college purposes: writing a paper, attending a conference, reading a book, even for studying. When you’re in study sessions, use the Internet very carefully, only when you see the need of it. There are encyclopedia and dictionary applications that can be a nice substitute. Also, data bases and online libraries in college make an excellent resource.

2- Keep a daily planner or calendar

A daily planner updated with things to do and notes helps you keep in mind. This requires a commitment to follow what you plan out for the day. Also, it allows to keep yourself with a splendid organization not only for college but also for your personal matters. Calendars always come in handy so you can keep in mind the deadlines for exams and projects. This calendars should be put in visible areas, such as in a wall near your bed or a desk so you can remember what you have to do each day. Organization helps to keep yourself busy doing everything you have to do,  without considering to procrastinate.

3- Stay away from social networks

Social networks take up 70% of the time college students spend in the Internet. It’s an amazing way to keep in touch with classmates and current events, but excessive times in social networks can make you waste precious time you can use for studying. Don’t leave any social network in an open window or application in your computer, tablet or phone. Curiosity  can make you itch to check your profiles,  but make sure do it after you do all of your schoolwork.

4- Use your phone only when necessary

A smartphone, or even a simple phone, can be a distracting factor while studying. Giving more attention to your text messages than to your History book won’t make the information stay in your head. While you are reading or working in an important project, you can leave your phone charging in another place or simply keep it away from you for the time being.

5-Listen to Classical Music

Two of the three students interviewed for this guide admitted to hearing classical music while studying or writing a college project. Classical music permits concentration during your time studying or working, and also serves as a shield from the noises in your area. Also, classical music doesn’t have any lyrics so the information you were studying or the book you were reading will stick in your head.

Every once in a while we need to escape the stress from our college life, it’s acceptable. But excessive procrastination will affect greatly not only your grades, but also several aspects of your personal and family life. With this guide, you can create the perfect balance that suits your lifestyle. Just keep yourself organized and make time for anything you need: for your social activities, for study time, and for everything else.

*The pictures were taken from:

klutzytonks.deviantart.com

onceusave.com

Hi there! My name is Karen Michelle Montes. I'm a Journalism and Geography major who aspires to become a meteorologist, fully bilingual in English and Spanish. I have a guilty pleasure with coffee, taking pictures of the food I make, Harry Potter and Twitter. Also, I collect shot glasses from every place I travel to. Follow me on Twitter: @kiwifeliz! 
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!