C5C26BDA 99A0 45B6 8361 2DF33D0741D8JPEG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
C5C26BDA 99A0 45B6 8361 2DF33D0741D8JPEG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Celina Aquino
Style

5 Reasons to Stream the Savage X Fenty Show Vol. 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If there’s one thing self-quarantining has given us, it’s definitely been time to chill and watch a movie every once in a while from the comfort of our own homes. Streaming services like Hulu, Prime Video, Disney+ and Netflix have definitely outdone themselves with the amount of high-quality movies, shows and series that they’ve showcased ever since lockdown started. 

Thanks to them, the scope of entertainment has even broadened to include a variety of documentaries, concerts, and even fashion shows and events! Yes, you read that right! The aforementioned streaming platforms have a variety of content for fashion-savvy fanatics, including documentaries (Jeremy Scott: The People’s Designer, House of Z), musical films (Black Is King), reality shows (Making the Cut, Project Runway, Next in Fashion), dramas (Edha, Atelier), and even fashion show productions. 

Perhaps the most noteworthy of all (and my personal favorite), this year’s Savage X Fenty Vol. 2 show, is here to stay. This unforgettable gem of a show, released on October 2nd, is everything lingerie lovers could ever ask for. Complete with stunning visuals, a cast of A-list performers and surprise appearances, a series of BTS scenes, and the most stylishly creative variety of underwear, the Savage X Fenty Vol. 2 show is the perfect watch for people who enjoy dance, fashion, and music. 

In case I haven’t yet convinced you to watch it, here is a list of the top five reasons to stream this mind-blowing visual masterpiece!

Body and gender diversity

Ever since Savage X Fenty’s creation in 2017, founder Robyn Fenty (Rihanna) has made it very clear that the brand would cater to all shapes, sizes, and genders. This year’s Savage X Fenty production is no exception. 

The second installment of the show displays a wide variety of body types belonging to dancers, models, and even guest performers. This combination gives us viewers a pretty good idea of how beauty should not be limited to a specific body size or shape, especially when it comes to lingerie. It also serves to inspire us into truly believing in how sexy and empowered we can be, regardless of our perceived flaws. Another great point the Savage X Fenty show makes is that lingerie can be worn by anyoneーnot just women. 

Throughout the production, the performances of all kinds of gender identities are highlighted. Because lingerie is so inextricably linked to our sexuality as human beings, the show also provides us with bits and pieces of a variety of celebrities (including trans and genderfluid individuals) expressing their own perspectives on the concept of sexuality. Throughout the show, the idea that there is no such thing as a “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to gender identities or manifestations of sexuality prevails.

Gorgeous designs

This year’s lingerie looks were, as to be expected, quite savage! Everything from the collection’s color palette, to the lingerie styles and shapes and the models/dancers’ styling exudes sensuality, sexiness, and absolute confidence. This year’s lingerie highlights include unlined lace bras, garter belts, thongs, caged bras, lace teddies, bodysuits, and even suspender bodystockings! The protagonistic hues in this collection range from a wide variety of tones. 

Some of the most notorious colors used for this collection include black, azure blue, watermelon and rose violet pink, and a beautifully captivating green-toned floral print. Instead of being confusing or misleading, the changes in aesthetics made the show all the more riveting. Starting with a sexy punk-inspired vibe complete with black mullets and fishnet stockings all around, the show transitions into several other settings with matching outfits, props, lighting, and choreographies. 

Dance choreographies and visual effects

We know that the lingerie is technically supposed to be the main showstopper of the event. However, it’s impossible to overlook the masterful choreographies created by none other than Parris Goebelーa New Zealand choreographer famous for working with stars such as Justin Bieber, Big Bang, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna herself. Her work for the Savage X Fenty Vol. 2 show is most notable for her heavy-yet-super-sensual hip hop moves. 

The visual effects, on the other hand, are equally astounding. Picture-intense strobe lights, heavy machinery scenography, a colossal nature montage (including a gigantic pink flower, trees, and more foliage-themed props), and visually illusionistic backgrounds. After watching the show, it’s pretty evident that a lot of time and dedication was put into the whole production, making it the most memorable Savage X Fenty production yet! 

Stunning performances and guest star appearances

The first Savage X Fenty fashion show set a pretty high bar in terms of celebrity cameos and musical performances. Besides the classic A-listers that were a part of the first installment (Normani, Cara Delevigne, and Bella Hadid), this year’s production included a colorful and all-inclusive variety of performers singing their chart-breaking hits (Rosalía, Big Sean, Lizzo, Bad Bunny, Travis Scott), models (Indya Moore, Irina Shayk), actresses (Luenell, Demi Moore, Laura Harrier) and drag queens (Gigi Goode, Jaida Essence Hall, Shea Couleé). All in all, this diverse combination of genders, ages, talents, and races could not be more appropriate for the show. 

Behind the scenes insight

Throughout the show, viewers can also appreciate some behind-the-scenes footage featuring some of the production’s guest stars, as well as some insight into Rihanna’s creative process and collaboration alongside head producer Jenniffer Rosales. These scenes are key to understanding the meaning behind Savage X Fenty as a brand, as well as a lifestyle that’s characterized by utter fearlessness, empowerment, sensuality, and self-expression. The audience can also catch glimpses of the lingerie’s product development, how the garments are brought to life, and some backstory on the brand and Rihanna’s influence on it as its founder.

Now that you know what to expect, it’s time for you to log on to Amazon Prime Video and watch the show so you can judge it for yourself! Hopefully, you’ll enjoy this jewel of a production and appreciate the beauty of body inclusivity, unforgettable performances, and high-quality choreographies as much as we have.

Andrea Capllonch is a Comparative Literature grad student that loves editing literary and journalistic content, discovering coffee shops and creating playlists for just about anything. She aspires to someday break into the literary world as an editor for a publishing house or an online publication. When she isn't busy editing or working at the local indie bookstore, you'll most likely find her cuddling her two cats, Bobby and Ziggy.