5 Everyday Items to Replace with Eco-Friendly Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As we all know, our planet Earth is in bad shape. Global temperatures are rising, causing catastrophic changes around the world, and pollution levels have reached an all-time high. It’s important to become aware of just how much waste we generate individually on a daily basis so that we can take the necessary steps to reduce it as much as we can. It might seem like an overwhelming and impossible task, but it’s easier (and cheaper!) than you may think, and every small action can make a big difference. Here is a list of common and everyday items you can replace with sustainable products to help you get started.

Toothbrushes

Did you know that every single plastic toothbrush you have ever used in your life is still out there somewhere? That’s why bamboo toothbrushes should become your new best friend. These are available in wallet-friendly packs of four, and since toothbrushes should be switched out every three months, the pack is meant to last you for a year. When you’re ready to replace them, take out the bristles with a plier, throw these in the trash, and then stick the bamboo horizontally in a flower pot (if you don’t have compost!). The brushes are biodegradable and can be composted in your backyard. 

Soaps

Anything that comes in a plastic bottle, from shampoo and conditioner to cleansers, moisturizers and deodorants, can be replaced with a bar. They’re easy to use and store, and many come in packaging that can be composted too. Although most of these bars are made from organic products, it’s always important to check the ingredients they are made from so that your skin doesn’t suffer the terrible consequences of an allergy or a bad reaction. Regarding the cost, worry not! Keep a lookout for the ounces of product that the bars contain, and compare the price per ounce with the products you currently use. This way, you can make sure that you’re saving coin while saving the Earth.

Razors

If you’re in the habit of shaving, instead of buying disposable razors, invest in a stainless steel safety razor. They’re easy to use and provide a closer shave thanks to their single double-edged blade. They’re also amazingly efficient and economic: one razor can last you a lifetime with the proper care, and buying the blades in bulk will help you save a lot of money. When it’s time to replace the blade, simply remove it and recycle it.

Menstrual Products

Goodbye disposable pads and tampons, hello menstrual cups and reusable pads! Menstrual cups are comfortable, easy to use, and can be worn for up to 12 hours without the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). With the proper care, your cup could last you for up to 10 years, but make sure to replace it when you notice discoloration, unpleasant odors, and holes and tears. Another option is reusable pads made of cloth. If you’re worried about cleaning them, don’t be—simply soak them in cold water to avoid staining and then throw them in the washing machine with the rest of your laundry. With reusable menstrual products, gone are the days of running to the store whenever it’s that time of the month, and your wallet will thank you for it.

Single-Use Plastics (Like Cutlery)

Single-use plastics are the bane of our existence. These include water bottles, coffee cups, disposable eating utensils, and straws, etc. Buy a thermos and a reusable stainless steel or bamboo cutlery set and bring them with you wherever you go. Some sets come with two of everything, so you can buy twice the cutlery for the price of one to divide and share with a friend! 

It may seem like a nightmare to get rid of all of your plastic items, but you don’t have to do it all at once! Instead, slowly start replacing them with sustainable products as they run out. Even though some may be more expensive, they last much longer than their disposable counterparts and you’ll be saving money in the long run. If there’s anything you feel like you can’t replace, make sure to dispose of it properly, recycling whenever possible, and help create awareness about the problem. Spread the word! Encourage your friends and family to use eco-friendly products as well. Remember, change doesn’t happen overnight– it’s a slow, but effective, process. We all need to take action, no matter how small, to help save our planet. Everything counts!

English Literature major with a passion for words.