5 Essential Things to Do Before Going to Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Relaxing and preparing yourself to get a good night’s sleep will do wonders for your body, your energy and your mental health. By relaxing your body, the quality of your sleep will improve and you will feel well-rested and alert when you wake up. Here are some tips to make the most out of your pre-sleep routine. 

Lay out your clothes.

Choosing what to wear can be a bit annoying and time-consuming. It may take you a while to decide whether you want to wear those comfy jeans that you’ve worn over and over again or those pants that will make you look good and slightly professional. After choosing your outfit, you might see that the shirt is too wrinkled and might want to iron it, but you’re late, and you have to get to class. Choosing your outfit and preparing it the day before is the best way to save time and avoid last-minute frustrations in the morning.

Set a schedule for the next day

Planning what you want and have to do the next day will make you feel more confident and ready to tackle any situation. It will also help you feel more organized and make you waste less time. I try to make a list on my schedule every night of the things I have to do the next day, and I feel that doing this helped me get everything done without procrastinating as much.

Prepare your backpack.

Just like with the outfit you’re going to wear, you don’t want to be rushing in the morning to prepare the things you have to take with you for the day. Packing your bag the night before will help you to avoid forgetting anything you may need. You might also want to pack all your books, some snacks and never forget your reusable water bottle to stay hydrated.

Stretch!

Falling asleep can sometimes be difficult, regardless of how tired we feel. Stretching before going to sleep can be extremely beneficial for your body, as it helps you fall asleep faster and sleep better overall. Stretching makes your body relax and feel calmer. You can learn in-depth explanations for in-depth explanations of the benefits of stretching and a list of some stretches to try out.

Breathing exercises

Another thing to try out before hitting the hay that might help you is breathing exercises. They help reduce the stress and anxiety in your body that has accumulated throughout the day by assisting muscles to relax, so you get better rest. Read here for some examples of breathing exercises to get you started.

Sometimes, life can be hectic and that can make your stress and anxiety levels rise up. These strategies might help you feel more calm and prepared for whatever the day might bring. Good luck!

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.