This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Sometimes, all you need is a really good cry. Human emotions are complex, which I know you know, and for that reason the best way to express them is through any form of art, such as literature. Creating relatable stories with raw emotions can serve as a catharsis not only for the author, but the reader too. Maybe these books won’t make you cry, but they are guaranteed to evoke woeful feelings that will make you think about all the decisions you took that lead you to them.

Trigger Warnings: Some of these books include depictions of sexual assault, graphic violence, death, depression and suicide. Please research them before reading them.

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

They Both Die at the End is a young adult novel published in 2017. It tells the story of two teenage boys, Mateo and Rufus, who are suddenly notified that they only have one day to live. This tale is set in a universe where an app called Death-Cast is able to predict the death of people. In order to make this experience less harrowing, another app, called Last Friend, pairs these individuals up with others that will die at the same time they will so that they can spend their last moments together. This is a very insightful book that makes you wonder the age-old question: what would you do if you just had a day to live?

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four (also stylized as 1984) is a dystopian science fiction novel published in 1949. This tale takes place in an alternative take on what the year 1984 could have been like. The world is in a state of constant war and government surveillance that condemns any type of independent thinking. This book is used as a strong example of the evils of political power and totalitarianism and the consequences these could bring on humanity.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The Haunting of Hill House is a Gothic horror novel published in 1959. It tells the tale of Eleanor, a lonely but hopeful woman who volunteers to be part of an experiment which investigates the supernatural happenings occurring in Hill House. Although this might seem like a novel that only deals with supernatural horrors, it manages to deal with human ones too. Through Eleanor we get to experience the fear of never belonging, not feeling love and wanting for something good to happen to us, just for once. This story depicts the internal struggles of a woman in need of understanding and genuine companionship.

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

The House of the Spirits is a drama novel published in 1982. This book details the lives of members of the fictional Trueba family spanning four generations. Set in a post-colonial and extremely political depiction of Chile, this tale is told through the perspective of Esteban and Alba Trueba as they deal with triumphs and tragic events. The story is also considered to be part of the magical realism genre, one created and used by Latin-Americans to deal with their struggles and realities through depictions of them in ordinary, but somehow magical ways.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Never Let Me Go is a dystopian science fiction novel published in 2005. This novel takes place in an alternative version of 1990’s England, in Hailsham, a boarding school that trains their students to be the best of the best. This school’s policy forbids students from interacting with, or learning about, the outside world.Throughout the story, we join our protagonist, Kathy H. in unraveling the mystery of what Hailsham really is and what truly awaits the students in the outside world once they leave it. This story details themes of creation, mortality and morality that makes the reader question the meaning held by a human life.

I really hope you’re able to check out any of these books; they are fantastic and treat each of their themes with the respect that they deserve. Please remember that you are a valuable human being that deserves a good and healthy life. People care about you and will be willing to always be there for you, even if it’s just for lending you a shoulder to cry on due to a book’s heartbreaking ending.If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts, please contact professional help such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

Melanie graduated from the University of Puerto Rico, RĂ­o Piedras Campus, from a Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences with a major in Psychology and a second major in English Literature in the summer of 2021. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, watching shows, and playing video games.